Looking for pollard/broom inspiration for fuchsia

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Clorgan

I like this side as a "front". Consider tilting the tree more sharply to the right so that the left most branch is more vertical and the first sub trunk of the "broom", the left of middle branch would be sub trunk number 2, then there is the number 3, thus making the number 4 branch a near horizontal or slightly below horizontal branch. Number 4 would be kept as a branch rather than a "sub-trunk" of the broom.

Or you could tilt it the other way. Either way, a tilt to the trunk would add more movement.

20210529_111604-jpg.377524

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
@Clorgan

I like this side as a "front". Consider tilting the tree more sharply to the right so that the left most branch is more vertical and the first sub trunk of the "broom", the left of middle branch would be sub trunk number 2, then there is the number 3, thus making the number 4 branch a near horizontal or slightly below horizontal branch. Number 4 would be kept as a branch rather than a "sub-trunk" of the broom.

Or you could tilt it the other way. Either way, a tilt to the trunk would add more movement.

20210529_111604-jpg.377524
Cheers for this! I'd considered this and is probably the way I'll go now now at least. But also been wondering whether to remove either the left or right branch, and chip away at the bulge to narrow it out a little? I know it'd create a large scar... And I do strangely find its current ugliness quite endearing

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
Your thoughts can work. If you like the "current ugliness" why not leave it alone? Enjoy it as is. You can always work on it later, even years from now.
Sorry Leo just seen this. Great point! Leaving it be for now.

Few flower buds!

Attachments

• 20210612_095510.jpg
    20210612_095510.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210612_095505.jpg
    20210612_095505.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 20

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Had a little choppity chop... Quite like this angle?

I like it much better now.

This summer let the chosen branches bulk up. But then next year, like you did with the microphylla, cut back hard so you have no overly long straight segments.

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I like it much better now.

This summer let the chosen branches bulk up. But then next year, like you did with the microphylla, cut back hard so you have no overly long straight segments.
Thanks Leo, yeah I think it looks a lot better 👍🏻 Yeah I was wary of just ending up with a load of straight branches. Fingers crossed it'll turn out nice

Top Bottom