Fukien tea bonsai tree questions

Akeron

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
hello everyone. First time posting so please be gentle.
I got a couple of questions about my tree. It lost all its leaves and was not doing well until I asked a local pro for help and he adviced that I change the soil to the mix below and fertilizer that had even parts (below as well)
It is doing much better now but seems to be growing a bit out of control. So the questions are:
1) Can I start trimming new branches that will be a problem in the future because they are growing to the inside of the tree or down now, or do I wait till it gets better? (Pictures A and B)
2) can I cut one of those long green shoots and plant it to get another tree now or wait? If so what do I need? Rooting powder? (Picture C)
3) can I start wiring green shoots now or wait till they are a bit more developed? Can I shorten them?
And
4) how do I encourage the tree to grow taller from the top rather than the side shoots (picture D)
Thanks in advance guys. I was having a terrible time with my first bonsai but Jason from best-bonsai down in Miami/Ft Lauderdale area helped me out a lot so I think I’ll stick to it. He recommended I join Bonsai Nut.
89A27680-3BDC-47F0-9CDE-EFED98DCDA11.jpeg 7195E025-5FD8-4AA4-A479-BB8286546BAA.jpeg 2D33A38C-134E-462C-A7B2-A81FFD9A9491.jpeg 9BEAEBC5-0BBD-4885-B8E3-EE8CDB005D71.jpeg 043671D0-36C9-45C7-8F3B-E9648E7D481F.jpeg F642D85A-A107-4FC3-9F65-B0C319392AD2.jpeg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To be frank I would suggest keeping it healthy and growing.
Get to know your shrub and get about 10 to 20 more.

When the time is right ---------- cuttings.
No experiments on the mother - please.

Remember --- Health before Design.
Best of Growing
Anthony

Akeron

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Thanks for the reply
10-20 more what shoots or trees?

Any advice on making it grow from the top? Or will that happen on its own?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Akeron ,

Apologies, more trees, or rooted cuttings.

It will grow where alive.

To trunk thicken it has to ground grown.
See also the use of colander in the ground.
Good Day
Anthony

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Don't need to welcome me to crazy... I arrived there a long time ago. Still! Don't understand your comments.

Well the good news is that your tree was mostly dead... but you pulled it back from the brink and now it is well on the recovery path.

You need to let the growth run for a while before you worry about pruning. As the tree develops foliage, it will develop the roots necessary to provide that foliage with water and nutrients. If you keep pruning and pruning, the tree will never get that strong. Better to let it run, bulk up, and then when you prune it will have the strength to push new buds and growth all over.

For what it's worth, the upper part of the tree - perhaps as much as the apex and top two branches - is probably dead and will dry up/wither. Anything above the top live growth is probably going to have to be removed, so think of your tree design within the context of the fact that your new leader/apex is your current top live growth.

How do you know it is safe to prune? At the soonest, you want to wait until the new growth extends and then hardens. The branches will stop extending and will lignify (ie turn woody). The leaves will turn from light green to a dark green and will get stiffer. At this point the tree will switch gears from energy expenditure (to fuel new growth) to energy generation (starches and sugars being generated via photosynthesis). Let the plant regain its strength before you think of pruning.

As others have pointed out, sometimes the best course of action is to let a tree go for six months or a season to allow it to strengthen before you start styling it - if it was weak and you just did an emergency repot.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Victory, is mine!

Exactly! Let that sucker run! It seems counter-intuitive, but with a weak tree you have to let the branches run and the tree to regain strength. In simple terms, think about it this way: growth in the foliage has to be balanced by growth in the roots. If you keep pruning the foliage, the roots will never get strong. Let the foliage extend and lignify, and the roots also grow and get strong. Then, when you prune your tree to more standard bonsai dimensions, the tree will have strong roots to stimulate and support new buds and new growth.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No need for wire with a Fukien Tea.
Use grow and clip.

Make a rule for your extensions.
To heal ----------------- say x leaves.
To prune -when it is ready x leaves.

Keep notes.
Good Day
See you in very late spring.

Grow, Grow, Grow.
Good Day
Anthony

* First ambition a 3" trunk

Akeron

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Hi guys!
Been a long time. I am posting an update on this tree and a small question about some yellow leaves that have me a little worried. It has been a bit cold here so not sure if this is why some of the leaves turned yellow. All advice appreciated! thank you.IMG_0667.JPGIMG_2165.JPGIMG_2416.JPG

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The yellow leaves are just from coming in for the winter. Mine do the same thing. Once it goes back outside in the spring, it will start back up strong again.

Top Bottom