Gardenia: Tropical? SubTropical Evergreen?...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is Gardenia a true tropical?
The information I've read on gardenia is not very informative...
I picked one up in late February this year. It was in the back corner of an old local garden center, looking really rough...it had several broken branches from other trees overhead, stuck in it, and several broken branches of it's own.
It had been out all winter, snow, ice, wind, all of it...
The leaves looked dull, and pale green.
It was bad...and cheap, so I grabbed it...
Unfortunately I don't have pictures of the mess it was originally....
But I brought it home and cut it back to stumps and sawed off 80% of the roots.
It sat for a while, and played possum....
Finally started growing strong...
I trimmed some of the strong growth back a few weeks ago. Seeing it bounce back well.
I'm wondering how I should over winter this gardenia...???
It seemingly can stay outside, as it did before I acquired it....
But I've read that it's a Tropical Tree...
Did I just get lucky?
Can they take a Maryland winter, every year?
Should I bring it inside like my Ficus and P. Afra?
Keep it in the garage with the deciduous trees?
Here's a picture...or two...
I know it's ugly, I haven't even thought about styling this tree yet.
Though I did think that the unglazed pot would contrast well with the glossy leaves.
IMAG2342.jpg IMAG2341.jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As far as I know they are hardy to zone 7 or 8. That's crazy that it lived threw the winter there, we had a bougie at my work that saw several days in the teens and bounced back like mad once moved to the heat.
I like it.
I would treat it as a subtropical, give it some cool weather in fall then move it to a cool well lit location that doesn't drop under 40°.

Aaron

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As far as I know they are hardy to zone 7 or 8. That's crazy that it lived threw the winter there, we had a bougie at my work that saw several days in the teens and bounced back like mad once moved to the heat.
I like it.
I would treat it as a subtropical, give it some cool weather in fall then move it to a cool well lit location that doesn't drop under 40°.

Aaron
Thanks for the reply!
Much appreciated.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
More subtropical than temperate and evergreen. You've got a nice plant to start a shohin. It doesn't like full sun, likes moist slightly acidic soils...you can find more here:
http://www.absolutebonsai.com/gardenia_bonsai
In the nursery pot, it was buried above the split of the trunks....I thought it was gonna be a clump...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You are welcome. Clump or single trunk, it's up to owner. You can keep clump style or reduce to single trunk. DT or HC?...:)That is a Q... One more link from my bookmarks:
http://www.chinesebonsaigarden.com/gardenia-bonsai-tree/
Well when I say clump, I mean it looked like multiple trunks from the soil line...
It has one single trunk though, which splits into "sub-trunks", like a large deciduous tree...
Gonna develop it off of that idea...

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah, reading back I understand. And this is not an ugly tree at all. Asks for broom or oak style, informal upright is never impossible.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Looks very nice. I've tried to keep gardenias a couple times, they were my moms favorite. But I've never had any luck with them. I'm surprised they made it through a MD winter OK. Interesting to know. Best of luck, can't wait to see it bloom.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think this one is a survivor...
Here is another pic of the tree, during repotting.
That lowest "sub-trunk" on the right is gonna be removed next....
IMAG2340.jpg

Slow Learner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The smell of the flower is very nice.
This is what they are known for.
A local landscape architect drew up a landscape plan that included a recent gardenia variety that was supposedly cold hardy to my area, warming influence from the upper, upper Chesapeake Bay. That was back around 2010. I could not afford his overall plan. I do not know if would have survived. Maybe you got one of those. He may have had one in his nursery. Did you buy it at Crows?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is what they are known for.
A local landscape architect drew up a landscape plan that included a recent gardenia variety that was supposedly cold hardy to my area, warming influence from the upper, upper Chesapeake Bay. That was back around 2010. I could not afford his overall plan. I do not know if would have survived. Maybe you got one of those. He may have had one in his nursery. Did you buy it at Crows?
Negative... it came from Grandfather's Garden Center, a small place in the Columbia area.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Update pics.... doesn't look all that different, but it actually has put on some good growth.
I also removed the one subtrunk that I mentioned before.
Looking good, can't wait to reduce it again next season.
Oooooh, ooooh, I found the original pics of it, when I obtained it in late Feb, after it amazingly survived a MD winter.
IMAG1674.jpg IMAG1673.jpg IMAG1675.jpg IMAG2517.jpg IMAG2515.jpg IMAG2514.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If I can add sth... It's one of the species that require watering with soft water. All the issues can be remedied by using some kanuma in substrate mix, like you'd do with azaleas. Then it can stand watering with tap water...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If I can add sth... It's one of the species that require watering with soft water. All the issues can be remedied by using some kanuma in substrate mix, like you'd do with azaleas. Then it can stand watering with tap water...
Interesting.
I have heard that kinda thing before about azaleas. Though some pay it no attention. I think my tap water is relatively lime free.... at least it hasn't hurt my 2 azaleas or this gardenia yet....
Do you think that gardenia is more susceptible to hard water problems than azalea?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Interesting.
I have heard that kinda thing before about azaleas. Though some pay it no attention. I think my tap water is relatively lime free.... at least it hasn't hurt my 2 azaleas or this gardenia yet....
Do you think that gardenia is more susceptible to hard water problems than azalea?
If it works good for you, you should be fine. From my limited experience I've found they are equal in needs somehow. And my tap water is medium hard, so that's the reason for heads up.

Top Bottom