Germinating redbud seeds

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I eventually found a tree some 400 miles away and got seeds. I am obsessed with this tree (cercis canadensis) for some reason, I read it is not a good choice for Bonsai, but nonetheless I want little Judas trees. Now my question. I did a little research on germinating them.. some just say scarify and plant, other's say you need to stratify as well. I generally use the paper towel and ziplock bag method to germinate, but had no luck with the in the last month or so.. trying the stratification method, but would love to hear your input.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got one to sprout, don't remember how, so it musn't a took much thinking.

Blah they don't make good Bonsai.

You know why I think these, what would be awesome for bonsai trees, all make poor bonsai?

I think folks are so excited to make it, they mess it up.

Go for it!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cuttings are supposed to root easy too.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Take a file, a fine toothed file, a small one, and scrape a nick through the tough outer seed coat of each seed. Or one could rub the seed on coarse sandpaper. You should see the color change to know you have scraped away enough of the seed coat.

Then soak in water for 24 hours, then stratify for 8 to 12 weeks in the refrigerator. THe cold stratification will give you better, more uniform germination. It might not be absolutely necessary.

The seed coat is very hard. In their native habitat the birds, and insects and ruminants like deer, all chew and or digest away part of the outer seed coat before germination occurs. The redbud in my yard drops thousands of seed every year, but I only get handfuls of seedlings as volunteers. The majority are either eaten or never get their seed coat scarified enough to germinate or I'd have thousands popping up in the year.

Note: Redbud is a legume, if you have soil that culinary legumes have been growing in, beans or peas or other pulses, use some of that soil to inoculate the soil you are germinating the redbud seed in.

I think redbud are a beautiful garden and landscape tree. Well worth propagating. I have seen many a beautiful trained for shape garden tree, essentially Niwaki. They are a problematic species for bonsai. But do try. Do put at least a couple of your seedlings into the landscape as garden trees.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan, good results come from warm moist stratification in fall (damp moss in a baggie in cabinet, drawer or top of fridge. 75 days before sowing place in fridge and sow after the cold stratifying.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They need an acid bath. Buy some Humic Acid, or Fulvic Acid, or both and wet-out the paper towel or soil in the stratification bag with a solution of 5 grams per gallon Fuvic and/or 28 grams Humic per gal in water. Look closely at the individual seeds. There is a pest beetle that lays an egg in the flower, the larva hatches inside the seed, and escapes on a full stomach by boring a hole to get out when the pantry is empty. Any seed with a tiny hole is kaput. They overwinter in the soil beneath the tree to complete the full biological cycle, so God's plan is to have very few unspoken-for seeds left over. Hence, low yields on germination.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've heard that the reason they don't make good bonsai is because their leaves don't reduce in size. Are there other reasons too?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've heard that the reason they don't make good bonsai is because their leaves don't reduce in size. Are there other reasons too?

That's the main reason. They can also be "a little fussy" or "difficult" in a pot. They thrive for some people and fail to thrive for others. They appreciate a mix that has some organic material in it. I've used about 25% to 50% composted fir bark, but other products will work. I don't know what you have in SA.

I only had redbud for about 5 years, and that was quite a few years ago.

terryb

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had success with C. canadensis and C. siliquastrum by pouring boiling water over the seed in a glass jar, leaving the seed to soak for 48 hrs and then moist stratifying in vermiculite at 4C for 8 weeks.

Top Bottom