getting movement into a shimpaku trunk.. without wire

Reaction score
The link you have posted seems to be broken... anyways I remember seeing that episode, was a while ago... remembering back, I beleive the process that they were getting at was more of a continual scaring effect.
So the shari is done, it is allowed to heal... then the newly healed over scar tissue is then scared again... and so on. Each time increasing it's size.

mc4mc44

Mame
Reaction score
i understand shari and deadwood completely, the removal of bark to show the deadwood underneath. but he shows a beautiful tree that he says the movement was created with the scaring. he says that the movement and twisting was created while making the shari, and that carving out the bark will cause the tree to spiral.

Reaction score
by creating a shari, and going through a process of constantly scaring the tissue and letting it heal, and re-scaring... after a while builds up and creates large reliefs on the tree that eventually distorts the shape of the tree... so, if I had a straight trunk, and created a spiral shari, and continued the scaring technique, eventually it would build up, where you would not even know that it was originally sraight, would look as though you took a tree and wrapped it around a pole, then removed the pole.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Part of it is likely image rather than actuality, the spiriling shari/live bein give a zig-zag appearance to the tree. Realize that it is a dangerous procedure.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
There was an article in Bonsai Today ( or maybe B Focus ) where shari was used to straighten a trunk. It was rather complex but the author also talked about using shari to put movement in a trunk. If I happen to find the article I'll post the issue number.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There was a great progression by Smoke on how to do yamadori style junipers.

Top Bottom