Glimpses of my garden

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Holy cow! I took the family to Brooklyn Botanical Gardens this weekend and we visited their bonsai museum. It truly doesn't hold a candle to your garden. Makes me almost want to visit the mother in laws family in Austria (almost, but not). Do you ever have public visitors?

Also, very important for me to see everything covered in snow so I can calm down about overwintering my few little trees.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Walter Pall
If you don't mind answering a few questions?
Which species do you leave out on your benches all winter?
Do they typically remain buried in snow all winter?
What are the lowest temperatures that you experience during your winter and how much fluctuation to do you get.

The reason I ask is that I have debated with myself about leaving a few of my most cold hardy species out on the benches during the winter (scots pine, mugo pine and Japanese White Pine specifically). Then we get a few days of low temperatures in the ~15 degrees Farenheight for a few days with even colder wind chill temps and I question whether that would be safe for those trees in pots. We dont usually get snow that buries them for weeks here. It does happen but its pretty rare.

Thanks

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Walter Pall
If you don't mind answering a few questions?
Which species do you leave out on your benches all winter?
Do they typically remain buried in snow all winter?
What are the lowest temperatures that you experience during your winter and how much fluctuation to do you get.

The reason I ask is that I have debated with myself about leaving a few of my most cold hardy species out on the benches during the winter (scots pine, mugo pine and Japanese White Pine specifically). Then we get a few days of low temperatures in the ~15 degrees Farenheight for a few days with even colder wind chill temps and I question whether that would be safe for those trees in pots. We dont usually get snow that buries them for weeks here. It does happen but its pretty rare.

Thanks
I protect most broadleave trees either in a greenhouse or I put them at a protected spot in the garden. I have hundreds of trees and just not enough place in greenhouse. If I could, i would put all broadleave trees into greenhouse. There I have some frost protection - a bit under freezing. All conifers stay outside in my garden. We sometimes get minus 15 Celsius , but normally not lower than minus 12 Celsius. All trees get off the shelves on the ground. We do have snow often but usually it does not cover the trees for longer than a couple of days. It is NOT a good idea to over-protect scots pines, mugo pines and JWPs. They need a couple of cold months and dry out in greenhouses easily.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
The garden its beautiful in the snow Walter! by the way have you ever been in the Canary islands? I live near Puerto de la Cruz in Tenerife

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I protect most broadleave trees either in a greenhouse or I put them at a protected spot in the garden. I have hundreds of trees and just not enough place in greenhouse. If I could, i would put all broadleave trees into greenhouse. There I have some frost protection - a bit under freezing. All conifers stay outside in my garden. We sometimes get minus 15 Celsius , but normally not lower than minus 12 Celsius. All trees get off the shelves on the ground. We do have snow often but usually it does not cover the trees for longer than a couple of days. It is NOT a good idea to over-protect scots pines, mugo pines and JWPs. They need a couple of cold months and dry out in greenhouses easily.

Thank you for the response.
I typically put all my trees into a cold frame that is against the north side of my house and that has worked for several years but yes I do realize that Scots, Mugo and JWP are much more cold tolerant. I do monitor temperatures and open or close the cold frame accordingly and will open it for snow to bury the trees at times. The cold frame is 4 feet wide. My deciduous trees are typically placed closer to the foundation where they will get more heat radiating from the house while my conifers are placed near the outer edge of the cold frame where it is usually colder.

I have left the JWP out on the bench over the winter and only moved them when we were supposed to get temperatures < 25 degrees F (<-4 degrees C). I think in general, my winters are milder than yours and I probably could be less protective of my scots, mugos and JWP.

Top Bottom