Golden Gate Banyan

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The apex had become too thick.Some drastic pruning and hopefully by the end of summer it will have filled back in and look better in this wider pot.

Any suggestions?..should I take it higher?...wider?

Andy

P.S.....please ignore the cascade ficus.It just happened to be sitting there.Everyone knows ficus don't cascade.It is not natural but I kind of like it.

Attachments

• DSC_0003 copy.jpg
    DSC_0003 copy.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 148

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Andy,

This tree needs to be seen in person to offer an objective choice on branching etc... There seems to be a lot of fat branching (from the photo) that could be trimmed. What I mean is the base is there, but I think some neglect has also taken place and you didn't stay on top of it, developing taper in primary/secondary/tertiary branching.

As you stated the top got to be too full, what about the rest? Where is the place the bird can fly in? This is what I see from the photo, and I can very well be out to lunch.

I think it needs some serious pruning and should once again be stuning in a couple of years.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Andy,

This tree needs to be seen in person to offer an objective choice on branching etc... There seems to be a lot of fat branching (from the photo) that could be trimmed. What I mean is the base is there, but I think some neglect has also taken place and you didn't stay on top of it, developing taper in primary/secondary/tertiary branching.

As you stated the top got to be too full, what about the rest? Where is the place the bird can fly in? This is what I see from the photo, and I can very well be out to lunch.

I think it needs some serious pruning and should once again be stuning in a couple of years.
Rick do you grow ficus?
Irene

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great to me Agraham. I wish I could grow a ficus like that. Fill in the apex and it's there IMO. I like that cascade too. Who cares if their not supposed to grow that way.

Bob.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What kinds and any special setup needed?
Irene

I ain't going to answer that, as it has nothing to do with my critique. Andy has better weather than we have here. Trops do not flourish with a 2 month growing season outdoors.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I ain't going to answer that, as it has nothing to do with my critique. Andy has better weather than we have here. Trops do not flourish with a 2 month growing season outdoors.
I have a cousin up there who wants a few and I am unsure of what it would take for her to keep it alive and thriving.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Andy,

That is a great tree in the making.

I would fill out the top part of the crown. Right now, it is way too thin.
Also, I would create some layered foliage. This would take away the clutter and create a more serene and relaxed effect. When I say "layered", I do not mean that one should be able to see through the foliage. Also, the layers do not have to be perfectly horizontal (that is too artificial), but in general horizontal. The layers will partially overlap each-other, but one can still distinguish them.

Last edited:

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Canada as the states is a vast country with LARGE varying climates. Can you be a little more specific.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Canada as the states is a vast country with LARGE varying climates. Can you be a little more specific.
LOL Had to look it up (her addy)....Sorry...Ontario, Ottawa
Irene

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ontario (depending where in Ontario) Ontario is bigger than Texas)) get about 3-4 months of summer (for trops) in Southern Ontario, that drops exponentially the further north you go.

Although I supplement my trops with 14 hrs of artificial light ficus do well but do not thrive while indoors. They throw a fit going out and coming inside, regardless of acclimatization.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Ontario (depending where in Ontario) Ontario is bigger than Texas)) get about 3-4 months of summer (for trops) in Southern Ontario, that drops exponentially the further north you go.

Although I supplement my trops with 14 hrs of artificial light ficus do well but do not thrive while indoors. They throw a fit going out and coming inside, regardless of acclimatization.
I will pass that on to her....My suggestion was find what grows well there..
Thank You for answering.
Irene

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Suggestions?

Another tier of foliage separated by a single central ghostly stalk.

The additional chevron can always be removed by a decendant.

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks,everyone.

Atilla.....I had just thinned the hell out of the apex when I took the picture.I had let it get away from me and the branches were just to thick.Give it about a month or 6 weeks and we'll see how it looks.

Irene...I thought it was a loaded question too....you know..the way bonsai forums are:D

Andy

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I will pass that on to her....My suggestion was find what grows well there..
Thank You for answering.
Irene

Well, Ficus don't, unless you go to extents to provide lights for the 8-9 months they are indoor... its a chore to grow tropicals here in ontario.

I would advise your cousin to check out Larch, Pines, Maples, Potentilla (great for beginners) etc... basically, fully hardy trees. Ottawa is cold... Larch and Pines and potentilla would do well. Japanese maples will need to be babied over the winter.

The rule that ficus are easy to grow for beginners doesn't really apply here... indoors over the winter you have to deal with a ton of pests, careful watering, and generally crappy growth, unless you want to deal with extra lighting... that still doesnt deal with the pests. Then you bring them outside in June, all the leaves burn off, the tree freaks out, and finally starts growing for real then before you know it its fall :)

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Bad Andy Bad....I never even thought about that being a loaded Q...
But I have copied and pasted what Rick and others have said about the area in regards to Bonsai up there...
Irene

Top Bottom