Got a few free hours in Denver tomorrow

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Aspen grow like weeds. Search Pando the Trembling Giant.
Largest living organism on Earth.
I hate them in my yard, has ruined my lawn. I have 1/12 of an acre
and had THOUSANDS of stiff brittle soldiers popping up and all interconnected
to the mother tree (not barefoot friendly by any means).
I had a gorgeous straight Ky Midnight Blue grass stand, dark as any grass I've seen. Not now.
Anywhere I needed a shade tree, I just didn't cut the grass. In 3 years I had a 20+ ft shade tree, 30' by 4th year.
This ruined my interest to try my hand at using some for bonsai, but still could try.

Ok, now you have me really intrigued.
I can't help but think since they seem to have the same bark regardless of if they are old or young, and tend to not have much trunk taper, it might take little more than good branch structure to give the illusion of age for a forest style planting.
I have seen a number of aspen groves in my area (they seem to like the wet bottoms of valleys). Anyone have advice in the area of collecting/propagating them (time/method)?

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok, now you have me really intrigued.
I can't help but think since they seem to have the same bark regardless of if they are old or young, and tend to not have much trunk taper, it might take little more than good branch structure to give the illusion of age for a forest style planting.
I have seen a number of aspen groves in my area (they seem to like the wet bottoms of valleys). Anyone have advice in the area of collecting/propagating them (time/method)?
I was told today that a good time to collect was just after leaf drop, as they'll continue to grow roots. Then give them cold protection the first winter and possibly a heat bed. I'm going to collect a few about a month from now. Leaves will still be on, but I don't have a choice about when to get them. I'll let you know how it goes.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Are the trees back at the Denver botanic gardens? I was there 3 months ago ant there were only a few ficus.

Anyway, there's a greenhouse in Littleton that has lots of bonsai, and other interesting plants!

Can you please post a link to this, or an address? I’d love to check it out! Never heard of it.

Thanks!

Top Bottom