Grafting 101

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thank you! Now I have an excuse for my grafting failures!! :rolleyes:

Actually, I would like to know the reason(s)/explanation.

I can think only of ones that are basically aesthetic; nothing physiological.
Pure conjecture here, but wouldn't a scion from younger wood have relatively more auxin and more carbs then one from older wood? Perhaps, it has to do with the relative amount of cambium vs sapwood present to make the connection?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pure conjecture here, but wouldn't a scion from younger wood have relatively more auxin and more carbs then one from older wood? Perhaps, it has to do with the relative amount of cambium vs sapwood present to make the connection?
Stimulating ideas.

My thinking is that the connection is made by the generation of a new layer of xylem, continuous across the joint and a new, continuous layer of phloem made by the mated cambium. I would think these would be no thicker than the layer thicknesses generated by the slower growing one, but maybe it is a one to many (as opposed to a one to one) connection. Still it seems that a graft with an older, slower thickening scion ought to succeed.

Ahhh ... Maybe it has to do with how pliant the tissues of the scion are. It would take some high precision equipment to make 'perfectly' flat cuts (I've never seen such equipment used to make grafts). Cut scion, insert scion, press and hold the flap to close the cut, then wrap tightly - soft scion tissues get flattened and in good contact with the stock's. Older stuff is too hard. Maybe?

Close enough for now. Get yourself a Shiner, if you like. I'm grabbing a Guinness. :D

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Stimulating ideas.

My thinking is that the connection is made by the generation of a new layer of xylem, continuous across the joint and a new, continuous layer of phloem made by the mated cambium. I would think these would be no thicker than the layer thicknesses generated by the slower growing one, but maybe it is a one to many (as opposed to a one to one) connection. Still it seems that a graft with an older, slower thickening scion ought to succeed.

Ahhh ... Maybe it has to do with how pliant the tissues of the scion are. It would take some high precision equipment to make 'perfectly' flat cuts (I've never seen such equipment used to make grafts). Cut scion, insert scion, press and hold the flap to close the cut, then wrap tightly - soft scion tissues get flattened and in good contact with the stock's. Older stuff is too hard. Maybe?

Close enough for now. Get yourself a Shiner, if you like. I'm grabbing a Guinness. :D
I vote for the Guinness, always tried to avoid Shiners:eek:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Now, am I stuck with NH Shiners? Plenty of specialty beer shops in the area, so I see them often....I'll have to try 'em out....but they ain't Guinness!!!!:p:D:D:D:D
That's me with Juan Andrade last night. Notice the shirt. ;)

Juan Andrade.JPG

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I appreciate that y’all like your soupy Irish beers. But this here’s a Texas thread, so only Texas beers should be discussed. I’m sure there’s some nice European discussion group out there where you can chat about how high your pinky should be raised whilst sipping on your Guinness.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I appreciate that y’all like your soupy Irish beers. But this here’s a Texas thread, so only Texas beers should be discussed. I’m sure there’s some nice European discussion group out there where you can chat about how high your pinky should be raised whilst sipping on your Guinness.
Okay okay, Shiner Black Lager is damn good. :p

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Could this hemlock be a candidate for trunk grafts?

Attachments

• 20180327_155554.jpg
    20180327_155554.jpg
    297 KB · Views: 30

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Keeping in mind that both Adair and yourself are approximately 1 foot taller and larger by far even if there is several thousand miles of separation. And due to age that restricts my foot speed.
Your right, we should respect a beer that comes from Shiner, The Cleanest Little Town in Texas and became popular in Huston around 1970. Just think how many people would like it, if it started in Dublin around 1759. I just don't know what the rest of the world is thinking.;)
In the interests of science and objectivity i suppose one should try the product. Now which one, Strawberry Blonde, Light Blonde, Belgian Blonde, Ruby Redbird, Heat Wave variety pack, Wicked Ram, Black Lager or Bock? Seeing as my second favourite beer is a German Black Lager then i will try to find a Shiner Black Lager:cool:

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score
Years ago, before the craft beer phenomena, I was traveling through western Pennsylvania and I stopped at a tavern for a bite to eat. On the wall was a poster for "Old Froth 'n Slosh - the only beer with the head on the bottom" So I ordered one. Bartender told me it was just a joke, they didn't really have any. A year or so later I had occasion to go back there and I was determined to take that poster with me. It wasn't there and the guy said he didn't know what I was talking about. What are the chances any b-nutters could help?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Years ago, before the craft beer phenomena, I was traveling through western Pennsylvania and I stopped at a tavern for a bite to eat. On the wall was a poster for "Old Froth 'n Slosh - the only beer with the head on the bottom" So I ordered one. Bartender told me it was just a joke, they didn't really have any. A year or so later I had occasion to go back there and I was determined to take that poster with me. It wasn't there and the guy said he didn't know what I was talking about. What are the chances any b-nutters could help?
This should get you started:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pgh-Brewin...905464?hash=item3f97a1d678:g:ZYQAAOSweuxWR6n2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-AUTOG...356417?hash=item520773ee41:g:uskAAOSw2PtatCna

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-OLDE...722263?hash=item2ee3b40857:g:6c0AAOSw-vlVpZs1

..and this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-...745789?hash=item41de05077d:g:IH0AAOSwInVXHkAA

I was raised in Pittsburgh and we didn't drink Frothingslosh. No way, wasn't going to happen. When we wanted a good beer, we drank Iron Shitty.

Last edited:

Gene Deci

Shohin
Reaction score

Reactions: Vin

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Have you grafted an atlas cedar??? I really need a branch were there is none

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Have you grafted an atlas cedar??? I really need a branch were there is none

Hi Max. I have not. I’ll ask Boon when I see him in a couple of weeks. He has quite a few atlas cedars in his garden.

S

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
First off thank you for your excellent information.
I need to do root grafts on opposite sides - 3 o clock and 9 o clock..
Do you think if I thread both seedlings through the same hole, the grafts will take?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you think if I thread both seedlings through the same hole, the grafts will take?

Are you considering drilling a single hole all the way through the nebari and threading both seedlings through the same hole in opposite directions?

S

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have not tried that approach. I would not recommend it. If they both pass through the same hole then the yneed to join not just with the parent plant but also each other for it to work well. I see that as introducing an extra complication and degree of difficulty.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do it and tell how it went. I think it could work with some planning. It's of course more complicated.

Reaction score
Got a question, which I think it's not been answered before.

Imagine that I have an Acer with a long node. However, It is a thick branch and I don't want to restart it. Can I thread graft a brach in the middle of this long node and then, when it takes and is strong, cut the remainder of the node above? My question is because usually maple cuts die back until they reach an internode so I don't know if having a grafted branch will halt the die back of not.

Top Bottom