Grape vine collecting

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In the next couple of days i will be collecting some old vine grapes that would be replaced with new ones.
Any special tips for aftercare maybe? Also i am not sure what kind of substract should i be using. Usually i use 100% pumice for collected trees, but i have read that vines can use some organic components in the micture?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have not moved any old vines but grapes are generally very tough. You should be able to reduce roots to stumps and chop the trunk wherever it is convenient. They bud all over the stump when cut back.
I doubt that grapes will be too choosy about the soil you put them into. Whatever you normally use should suit OK provided you follow your normal watering regime so they don't dry out.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would not remove them if they have leafed out. In my experience to ensure they live the transplant only move them when they are dormant.

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently dug out a very old vine and I was surprised of what I found beneath the soil. The trunk above soil line is very very thick, but below the surface I couldn't find any roots. The trunk continued downwards, just that it was 1/4 thick. I dug about 20-30 cm and still couldn't find the roots. It was the first time I collected a grapevine and I'm very curious if all of them grow this way below the surface. If it doesn't grow roots from there, it is not worth the effort.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I recently dug out a very old vine and I was surprised of what I found beneath the soil. The trunk above soil line is very very thick, but below the surface I couldn't find any roots. The trunk continued downwards, just that it was 1/4 thick. I dug about 20-30 cm and still couldn't find the roots. It was the first time I collected a grapevine and I'm very curious if all of them grow this way below the surface. If it doesn't grow roots from there, it is not worth the effort.
That's why you only transplant when they are dormant.

RobC

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I dug out in July 2019 the grape vine stump that my wife has been trying to kill for a year 😂. Big root went sideways right under the patio. I wasn’t going to dig up the patio so I cut it off. Hardly any roots remained. Potted it and grew a long vine and few other shoots. End of February 2020, I made cuttings of the long vine and placed in water as an experiment. Parent stump and cuttings are budding now. I used 50/50 pumice/coconut coir for the stump. I’m not saying that’s the recommended substrate, just saying that’s what I used 😁

74CF256E-FBAB-4C18-8C60-C2E8CDFC5661.jpeg9F671BED-8051-43C0-ADB8-CC74CE429366.jpeg

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dug out in July 2019 the grape vine stump that my wife has been trying to kill for a year 😂. Big root went sideways right under the patio. I wasn’t going to dig up the patio so I cut it off. Hardly any roots remained. Potted it and grew a long vine and few other shoots. End of February 2020, I made cuttings of the long vine and placed in water as an experiment. Parent stump and cuttings are budding now. I used 50/50 pumice/coconut coir for the stump. I’m not saying that’s the recommended substrate, just saying that’s what I used 😁

View attachment 296329View attachment 296330
That's a nice stump. How is it doing?

RobC

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's a nice stump. How is it doing?
This year, I placed it by the fence to let it grow long and fatten up the branches a bit.

Attachments

• 8B472801-68E2-48BD-B07D-75511977E6D0.jpeg
    8B472801-68E2-48BD-B07D-75511977E6D0.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 18

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This year, I placed it by the fence to let it grow long and fatten up the branches a bit.
I like it even better from this angle

Top Bottom