Greatest American Bonsai

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That is one of the best stories I've read in a LONG time. Thanks for sharing Mac!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the great story, Mac. It illustrates what a great man and generous teacher John Naka was.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
The dragon rock tree... you mean the horizontalis on the rock that used to have a goblin? Last time I was there all of the junipers looked like bushes. Also, the stunning RMJ he gave the Jardin is dead. Now there is just a picture of it boasting about how old it was.

And penelope is doing well. Of course overfertilized according to Nick. But filling out really well... really dense. While not a bonsai technically, she must be one of the greatest pieces of "tree art" in America.

As a side note... a lot of people only think "Larch Master" when they think of Lenz. While he certainly stands out in that field, I think a lot of people forget about his work on horizontalis. Here he is truly paramount. Who else on this planet has put so much effort into developing ground juniper??? Surely this is worth a mention.

The dragon rock larch was a larch growing in a amazing rock, the larches branches flowing away from it like a barons scarf. It was at Montreal and featured on a pedestal in a pool. I looked on line for it and found a pic revealing that whoever was caring for it had completely ruined it--what was a lithe sinuous flying composition had been degraded to clumsiness and discord--complete crap so I will not post the pic. It was a magical composition.

Yes, Lenz had a amazing blue rug stage(and a communis stage). Luckily it seems as if some of his uprights are being preserved at a place who somehow takes good care of them yet their fineness and form is retained too. I remember visiting and seeing all these BRJ planted in the garden getting big. I once said glibbly, " That doesn't took too hard, just plant-um in the garden and wire them up straight". He said, " Well, there is the branch selection"--a complete understatement. I tried growing a few over a long time and the funny thing is growing them straight is very hard to do. For this species stock straight seems to result in the most powerful form--at least to my eye. I must get after him to have a better set of digitized Lenz trees--Or convert my old pics.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Crust you're such a curmudgeon! Can you show a pic or two of your favorite Ponderosa or maybe a link so we can see some?

Sorry:D but oh there are some great pondos out there--many, many. I will have to make a album of my favs, but this is not one of them. I suspect the tree is amazing to see in person but I think Walter may have been being a bit promotional when he was touting it. Many of the trees coming from collector Knight are, or will be stupendous soon enough (those under Ryan's hands anyways). years ago I went to Andy's and saw some great pondos, smaller ones--super twisted barber poles. It seems as though the best ones I have seen in private collections are kept pretty much that way--private, which is too bad.

Last edited:

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I must get after him to have a better set of digitized Lenz trees--Or convert my old pics.

Indeed. Then hook us up.

Here is a blue rug pair that my friend owns. Sorry, terrible background.

DTDaex5.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is quite an amazing story to share. So you had no bonsai at that time? What a grand and inspiring start. Seems like the "biggest" names in bonsai are so willing to share and progress the art. (sometimes in a much more openhearted way than we seem to be)
Thanks Mac.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mac's Naka story is why I have always liked Goshin. It is accessible, as was its creator. I've known others who have worked on it from day to day at the arb. It has taught many bonsaiists over the years, just like Naka himself.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
One of my favorites is Bill valavanis' cascading full moon maple

full-moon-cascade-5-5-18.jpg

And then a similarly styled cascading Acer palmatum "seigen"
Screenshot_20200524-134024_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom