Greetings from Ann Arbor MI!

JimmyBeefshank

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello everyone, I'm James. A native of northern Michigan, I moved to the Ann Arbor area a few years ago. I've been a lifelong botany enthusiast, perhaps forced into it by the birth right of a backwoods farm kid but the passion stuck independently.
I am a Gardener, Arborist and Hardscaper professionally as well so I feel pretty blessed to be able to make a comfortable living maintaining gardens for others. I'm often called upon to remove awesome material almost all of which goes home with me. I have many Suculents, Tropicals and trees in various stages of Bonsai development. I also have a few favored collecting areas and I'm in the process of pre-collection prep and shaping on over 50 trees.
I'm very excited to live in an area that has a real bonsai club and I can't wait to get involved. A special shout out to any local club members, I expect to be making your formal acquaintances shortly. To everyone else, Greetings!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi James, and welcome to this great site!

I'm Helene from Kalamazoo. I have only a few years' experience; BNut has been an incredible resource for me.

For me, it's all about the flowers. If you ever are called upon to remove a landscape azalea, please keep me in mind.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Welcome! Beginner here as well. Maybe you could find a way to sell off excess plants that you rescue to other bonsai folks in your area!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More Michigan people!
Where in Northern Michigan did you reside?

JimmyBeefshank

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
More Michigan people!
Where in Northern Michigan did you reside?
I grew up in Midland, and lived in Traverse City, and Marquette.

Welcome! 50?
I used an app called My Maps, it overlays user defined points and lines and let's you switch between Google Maps, satellite view or a topographic terrain view as your base map. Aerial recon makes my scouting trips way more productive, marking individual trees and making notes about them is easy. I can even define layers by what I need to accomplish, so say, when it's time to decandle, then the map will show me only the spots I need to hit.

I'll make sure to give a heads up and post pictures of anything "scheduled for execution", and in most cases I would even offer to act as a "foster parent".

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
"Scheduled for execution"?
Oh my

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome. Ann Arbor is one of the few places I've been in the US. It was a pleasant change after spending a week in Detroit.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Jimmy, Your post interested me because you mention an app for your phone that lets you mark the location of trees you find on a map. Just what I have been looking for as I collect up in the forest/mountains near me and would like to do that. can you help me with this? Thanks, Peter
PS: my brother lives in Ann Arbor...I don't thank goodness.

JimmyBeefshank

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Welcome Jimmy! Sounds like you are leaps and bounds ahead of a lot of people who are new to the forum. Hell, sounds like you are way ahead of me and I have been at it for a few years! I look forward to any collection posts. Those are some of my favorites ones to browse.

Top Bottom