Grow box depth?

Nate77

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The threads I read recommend 3" deep.

I have some 1x fence pickets laying around.
They are 5.5" wide

If I rip them in half I would end up around 2 5/8" - 2 11/16

Is 2.5- 2.75" to shallow?

Is 5.5" to deep?

Thanks nate

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
All my Anderson flats are 5" deep. I wouldn't go shallower, personally. If you don't fill the flat up to the rim with soil, you're probably talking 4.5" soil depth for a medium-sized tree.

You can always go deeper with your grow box and not put in as much soil... depending on the tree and what you are doing. I have some flats with seedlings in them atm that probably don't have more than 3" of soil.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It really depends on the size of the material being planted in the box. I've always made my wooden boxes out of deck planking... 5.5" wide... but all the trees placed in them were larger, as in anywhere from 18"-36" tall

Nate77

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you guys,

@Bonsai Nut have no idea what I am doing , some weeping willow cuttings that have been sitting in a glass of water.

Attempting to grow out some cuttings/ seedlings , I don't have the option of putting in the ground.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Before you decide what to plant things in, be mindful of when to perform the repot to make sure you are doing things in the correct season. Willow are pretty tough.

When determining size of the container, the size of the tree/root system is the guiding factor. You do not want your tree sitting a pot that is way too large for it.

As for the grow boxes, I like 3.5" deep but wouldn't go shallower than that. Larger root system just won't fit into the space so I'll go larger.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would use your 5.5" picket slats. They probably aren't treated, so they are only going to last a couple of years before they start to rot, but by then you will have a better handle on what you are doing.

You can always go deeper and put in less soil... but if you go too shallow there is nothing you can do about it. I've got some 8' trees that are still in 5" deep Anderson flats :)

Last edited:

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thank you guys,

@Bonsai Nut have no idea what I am doing , some weeping willow cuttings that have been sitting in a glass of water.

Attempting to grow out some cuttings/ seedlings , I don't have the option of putting in the ground.
You can put the willow cuttings in a vase and they will keep a long long time. For myself I used to make grow boxes left and right. Nowadays I just buy pond baskets for the small trees and plastic flats for the bigger trees. When my existing grow boxes rot away, they won't be replaced. I would rather use my time to tend to the trees instead of building boxes.

If I were you I would go to HomeDepot or Lowes and buy a couple pond baskets and plant the willow cuttings in the basket. I would keep the basket half submerged first to keep the willow roots going and slowly take it out of the water. This give your tender roots in water time to harden. I have killed a few cuttings with roots in water by putting them in dryer soil. The roots died from shock.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You can put the willow cuttings in a vase and they will keep a long long time. For myself I used to make grow boxes left and right. Nowadays I just buy pond baskets for the small trees and plastic flats for the bigger trees. When my existing grow boxes rot away, they won't be replaced. I would rather use my time to tend to the trees instead of building boxes.
This is exactly what I do. The only time I will build a box is for a large special tree - like a large yamadori that needs custom dimensions.

Nate77

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

If I were you I would go to HomeDepot or Lowes and buy a couple pond baskets and plant the willow cuttings in the basket. I would keep the basket half submerged first to keep the willow roots going and slowly take it out of the water. This give your tender roots in water time to harden. I have killed a few cuttings with roots in water by putting them in dryer soil. The roots died from shock.
I did put 2 in pond baskets , was gonna put on in a grow box just to see what happens

Top Bottom