Growing Other Stuff 2021

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This is my Veggie/annual area....

With the weather.... this area gets “stepped”.. and has.. for about two weeks.
(ALSO a pretty pepper flower)E5732707-4ED7-4D50-8261-B935BDB434E4.jpeg3D31C0A6-1896-4F73-AEEA-F3A570F76895.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Uuuuhg! Selling/sold SOOO many annual veggies this year!.. and people still want more... “feeler season” was a success!

Also thought I’d share these pictures..

The mugwort is SOOO aggressive!!! And the foliage is very interestingly-shaped.. I’m honestly just very upset that I have the variegated variety... makes “scaling” for “TinyTree” endeavors Difficult. (There ARE certain variegated varieties of DIFFERENT trees whose variegation follows STANDARD patterns.... but this one is random as heck. And truth be told... I, personally, don’t “lock in” on variegated bonsai as easily)

Annnnyways..

Mugworts showing OBVIOUS aggression... hull-breaches and drop-roots-style, SON!

185DA2D1-6235-4A4A-8DD4-756A4532F5DF.jpeg4C652EF2-DBBA-42FF-9563-CBED8797AD17.jpeg1F6B96A6-6365-4BA3-A795-A1B0FA0F2E7B.jpeg

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my “stepper helpers”.... LOVIN’ it!View attachment 367098View attachment 367099

This is awesome!

My grandkids live an 8 hour drive away :( Last year I bought duplicate sets of grown bags and seeds for myself and for them (their parents aren't gardeners) and I made videos to show them how to plant and take care of things: a tomato, lettuce, onions, green beans...mostly "easy" stuff. They loved it! We'd trade videos or video chat to compare how we were doing against one another. It was goo times!

This year they asked for strawberries and peanuts and cucamelons! Strawberries and peanuts I've grown...but never cucamelons! I bought them all they need...but we're not "competing" on the strawberries or cucamelons...I don't have a place for them here :( But the competition to grow the best peanut is definitely on!!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This is awesome!

My grandkids live an 8 hour drive away :( Last year I bought duplicate sets of grown bags and seeds for myself and for them (their parents aren't gardeners) and I made videos to show them how to plant and take care of things: a tomato, lettuce, onions, green beans...mostly "easy" stuff. They loved it! We'd trade videos or video chat to compare how we were doing against one another. It was goo times!

This year they asked for strawberries and peanuts and cucamelons! Strawberries and peanuts I've grown...but never cucamelons! I bought them all they need...but we're not "competing" on the strawberries or cucamelons...I don't have a place for them here :( But the competition to grow the best peanut is definitely on!!
That's great that you are getting them interested in gardening at a young age and to learn from their Grandpa. My dad took my son fishing for the first time when he was 5 and he caught a big catfish. Been "hooked" on fishing ever since and it created a great bond between them. My dad has since passed, but my son is planning on getting up early tomorrow to go fishing. I bet his Grandpa will be smiling down upon him. :).

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's great that you are getting them interested in gardening at a young age and to learn from their Grandpa. My dad took my son fishing for the first time when he was 5 and he caught a big catfish. Been "hooked" on fishing ever since and it created a great bond between them. My dad has since passed, but my son is planning on getting up early tomorrow to go fishing. I bet his Grandpa will be smiling down upon him. :).

Apparently it skipped a generation though. Me son can't grow a darn thing...his wife is equally horticulturally challenged. But the grandkids...5 and 2 like gardening :)

Of course they don't eat anything they grow...except the greenbeans!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Sigh...kids these days! Always relying on their parents for everything! When I was a kid, my parents didn't do everything for me...I had to go out and learn how to do much of what I wanted myself ;)
Ahem, I believe he has at least some knowledge about it. He says one of his friends has better grow lights than me and he does not practice bonsai....🙄

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
This one gets to stretch her legs today for a month or so of power growing. I got 2 early ones started to get me to the end of the season. Will sow some more today, a couple of Autos and a couple of feminized ones to go all season.

1620473678348.png

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This one gets to stretch her legs today for a month or so of power growing. I got 2 early ones started to get me to the end of the season. Will sow some more today, a couple of Autos and a couple of feminized ones to go all season.

View attachment 373250
Nice!.. my perfectly legal hemp plants live indoors. For a few reasons... they are ITCHING to start flower cycle... buuut I gotta get the OTHER trees/plants outside and raise my lights first..

Heres two mammas, a couple days after a haircut.. already touching the light.

4B48D089-A33E-403D-BB48-04FD988BD846.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I wanted to share this, because seed-genetics fascinates and excites me.

So i sowed all my papaver at the same time... same 1000 seeds.....

After doing a smidgen of research, I realize that the agonizingly slow growing, seemingly frost-kissed “bunch” (like 10).. are, in some gardening circles, referred to as “purple dwarves”.

Pictures is an average-sized Papaver.. and an average seedlingof the “Slower-growing, darker sort”... the same age.

8A0CA776-CD27-4D12-8705-6E85F645755E.jpeg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Two seasons ago at the old house we planted a patch of curled parsley and a patch of flat leaf Italian parsley and let it go to seed at the end of the year. The next year all that came back was a hybrid of the two that withstood the summer heat amazingly. I want to go back to visit and see if it came back as a stable hybrid.

Top Bottom