Guess this tree

Zournathan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm trying to figure out what type of trees I have in my backyard. They have leaves that would probably be OK on a large bonsai if they will reduce a little, and the bark on the trunk is really strange (probably the most distinguishing feature). I don't know if the bark would develop this texture if kept as a bonsai, but it might be worth a shot :)

Attachments

• DSCF0023.jpg
    DSCF0023.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF0024.jpg
    DSCF0024.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF0025.jpg
    DSCF0025.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 64

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hackberry, celtis occidentalis...they can make great bonsai if you have an interesting trunk to start with. They get twiggy quickly in a pot, grow strongly, and leaves reduce well. You may notice that they are susceptible to mildews, and the leaves start to look pretty rough in the mid-summer. Fall color isn't great, a yellow color (if they last until fall). They show best in the winter and spring.

Zournathan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've never heard of a Hackberry tree in my entire life...but I did a google search and you're definitely right. Thanks for the quick ID. :)

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I've never heard of a Hackberry tree in my entire life...but I did a google search and you're definitely right. Thanks for the quick ID. :)
Another name for them is "Pissin Elm" as they weep on you....

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hackberry, or in your neck of the woods "Sugarberry" Celtis laevigata. Extremely hardy, tough as nails to root and top prune. It's a Southern species Hardy to Zone 7b or higher. Unreliable in colder zones, though...Makes EXCELLENT bonsai...

Top Bottom