Hairbrained winter upgrade?

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking real good. They are starting to get some nice body to them. Not the biggest fan of these but I can still appreciate them done well. Just one thing too keep in mind, you see alot of these that are all about the roots with just a bush on top. As your growing these out dont forget about your branches. Just throwing that out there. Looking good and waiting to hear more.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just one thing too keep in mind, you see alot of these that are all about the roots with just a bush on top. As your growing these out dont forget about your branches

My plan with the scheffs currently is working on establishing aerial roots in the enclosure in winter and then letting the branches grow out spring/summer when I place them outside. My climate is not humid enough in the warm months for aerial roots growth, but branches and canopy go wild.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Update: Still working well, the weekly breakdowns and cleaning are getting old, but I think worth it for the amount of aerial root growth I'm getting, which was a major goal with this experiment.

The scheffleras are in heaven. They're pushing out canopy and aerial root growth and have been cut back a time or two. Once they go outside for the summer I will let them grow out their canopies.

IMG_20200208_114538.jpg

IMG_20200208_114406.jpg

The Willow leaf ficus, as usual, is temperamental. Loved the humid environment for a month or two then started throwing leaves. Took it out and it got happy again. After a month of being out and looking very healthy, it's starting to show signs of stress again. I'm either not hitting the sweet spot, or these trees truly enjoy an extreme wet/dry cycle like I've read in places. Three of the repotted cuttings are doing so-so. The fourth repotted cutting is leafing out and looking great.

My tiger bark ficus is the only non schefflera showing any aerial root growth. It's happy inside or outside the enclosure. It's soil is pretty gross right now due to being my first home made combo of 8822 and grit. Will get potted in better soil this summer.

IMG_20200208_115023.jpg

This enclosure has done well for cuttings of ficus and seems to be doing well with quince cuttings I put in there to see what would happen.

IMG_20200208_115141.jpg

IMG_20200208_115257.jpg

I also have set up a new photography area and tested it out with some of the trees I had in the enclosure. I think this will be a better way than the corner pics in the desk I usually take.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No sense starting a new thread I reckon!

20200214_170331_HDR.jpg
20200214_170519_HDR.jpg
20200214_170513.jpg
20200214_170523.jpg
20200214_170707.jpg

Trying to grow some shit in half the fish tank. Plugged in this Cascade filter I found for the first time a few days ago and it worked so I got excited! Too Strong for this 20H. Just a couple kuhli loaches in there.

Sorce

Top Bottom