Hand held GPS?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Anyone use a handheld GPS unit for collecting? How beneficial do you feel it is? Is it easy to mark trees and find them? Recommend any specific units? Thanks!

I was considering getting the
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS at the REI outlets

$185.00

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Anyone use a handheld GPS unit for collecting? How beneficial do you feel it is? Is it easy to mark trees and find them? Recommend any specific units? Thanks!

I was considering getting the
Garmin eTrex 20 GPS at the REI outlets

$185.00

He who shall not be named---officially---- has quite a large file catalogue loaded in his GPS of trees he is interested in digging up.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Lmao Vance! I'll take that as a yes they work great! I was wondering the same thing. Great question!

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
fwiw there are free gps apps for iphones, etc. I have one and it's accurate within 10m. Save your money (assuming you have a smart phone ;) ).

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
fwiw there are free gps apps for iphones, etc. I have one and it's accurate within 10m. Save your money (assuming you have a smart phone ;) ).

I have Iphone 3gs, what app do you use?

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Garmin "Oregon" 550T. It's more expensive, but allows me to mark trees with pictures! I love it!
It was a Christmas gift from my wife and folks. They rock :)

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Just make sure there is a cell tower in the middle of the mountains or desert or wherever you are.
Wood

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have Iphone 3gs, what app do you use?

I have a 3gs as well. There seem to be ones for $0.00 and $1.99 with 4.5/5.0 stars but I went with the free one with 4.0/5.0 stars called "Where Am I At." So far so good :)

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
If you do a lot of collecting, a proper handheld GPS is worth the small investment.

I have an iphone 4, and there is nothing it can do that compares to my GPS.

In terms of form, hiking GPS's are meant to be dropped, are waterproof, and can be used with gloves if designed well.

In terms of function, a good GPS works under tree cover and will take you within 1m of your waypoint. 10m might seem pretty good, but in the areas I collect in everything looks the same and it can be hard to find a tree you last saw a year ago, even knowing it is "somewhere around here".

That being said, do some research and you will likely find that the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx is the most widely recommended model. It is an old design, but still probably the most popular GPS out there - and for good reason. The interface is dead simple, it is tough as a brick, and it is insanely good at locking onto satellites even under heavy tree cover. Also, the screen is easy to read in bright sun. Don't let the old school graphics fool you - it rocks. As far as I know they are still making them, almost 10 years after they were first released.

When I was looking for a GPS I bought a new model Oregon, a new model Colorado (touchscreen), and and older 60CSx at about half the price. After testing them for a few days, I kept the 60CSx. It is just better! Touch screen GPS's are annoying to use, especially with gloves, and can be practically impossible to read in daylight. And the Colorado and Oregon did not work nearly as well under tree cover. Not to mention that the 60CSx just felt way more solid and better built.

Go with what works! :) Hope that helps... you can probably tell that I love my 60CSx.

Last edited:

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have owned several handheld GPS and completely agree with amkhalid's comments. Excellent advice! They are much better than a cell phone app.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
If you do a lot of collecting, a proper handheld GPS is worth the small investment.

I have an iphone 4, and there is nothing it can do that compares to my GPS.

In terms of form, hiking GPS's are meant to be dropped, are waterproof, and can be used with gloves if designed well.

In terms of function, a good GPS works under tree cover and will take you within 1m of your waypoint. 10m might seem pretty good, but in the areas I collect in everything looks the same and it can be hard to find a tree you last saw a year ago, even knowing it is "somewhere around here".

That being said, do some research and you will likely find that the Garmin GPSmap 60CSx is the most widely recommended model. It is an old design, but still probably the most popular GPS out there - and for good reason. The interface is dead simple, it is tough as a brick, and it is insanely good at locking onto satellites even under heavy tree cover. Also, the screen is easy to read in bright sun. Don't let the old school graphics fool you - it rocks. As far as I know they are still making them, almost 10 years after they were first released.

When I was looking for a GPS I bought a new model Oregon, a new model Colorado (touchscreen), and and older 60CSx at about half the price. After testing them for a few days, I kept the 60CSx. It is just better! Touch screen GPS's are annoying to use, especially with gloves, and can be practically impossible to read in daylight. And the Colorado and Oregon did not work nearly as well under tree cover. Not to mention that the 60CSx just felt way more solid and better built.

Go with what works! :) Hope that helps... you can probably tell that I love my 60CSx.

Thanks Amkhalid! So how much does the 60CSx run? i'm pulling it up at over $400, wondering if I have the wrong model. So i'm wondering if after purchasing this unit, if I have to purchase additional maps to make it really do what I want. All my collecting will likely always be in California in the Sierras or Desert area. Do I have to purchase additional maps, so I can mark trees and come back and find them? Thanks for that great reply.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Crap you're right. I think they've finally been discontinued because they replaced them with the 62s model a couple of years ago. The remaining stock is now ridiculously expensive. When I got mine they were just getting ready to introduce the 62s so the 60's were cheap... mine was $175 canadian.

This is the new model http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-gpsmap-62s.html

Keep in mind that the original 60CSx still has better user reviews than the new one. http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-gpsmap-60csx.html

I would get a used 60csx off ebay or craiglist. I saw some on ebay for around 125. Odds are you can find one with pre-loaded maps. Otherwise yes, the maps are extra. They can also be downloaded as torrents but you should not do this! Keep in mind you can still mark waypoints without the maps... the unit will just be guiding you through a blank landscape.

Edit: for collecting, you really don't need the maps. You can just set the GPS to make a "track" which creates a path on the screen showing exactly where you have walked, and you can mark trees along the way. When it comes time to go back, you can follow these tracks. Whether or not you have a map in the background really doesn't make a difference, although the map is nice to have so you can see nearby roads and bodies of water etc.

Last edited:

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. By the way, great blog! Did you just spend some time with Peter Tea?
The 60CSx looks awesome and I really appreciate the review, Unfortunately i'm thinking it might be too expensive for right now unless I can find a good deal. I have a $50 dividend and 20% off coupon at REI.com which is making me think I might want to get a Garmin Etrex 20-usually $200, but I can get for about $100. Hopefully the Etrex will serve my purposes for Bonsai. Anything major things you think the Etrex 20 could be missing? Thanks!

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks for the great info. By the way, great blog! Did you just spend some time with Peter Tea?
The 60CSx looks awesome and I really appreciate the review, Unfortunately i'm thinking it might be too expensive for right now unless I can find a good deal. I have a $50 dividend and 20% off coupon at REI.com which is making me think I might want to get a Garmin Etrex 20-usually $200, but I can get for about $100. Hopefully the Etrex will serve my purposes for Bonsai. Anything major things you think the Etrex 20 could be missing? Thanks!

Etrex should be fine for sure. I think the main difference is that the 60 locks onto satellites better under tree cover which should not be an issue in the desert. Also maybe a bit more accurate. Read the user reviews on gpscity. I would still consider a used 60 if possible. Gps units are like guitars... Great to buy used because people buy them and never use them lol.

Yup I spent some time at aichi-en with Peter in December. What an awesome guy! You are very lucky to be close to BIB and talents like Peter!

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
anyone has garmin gpsmap 64s? thinking between buying this one or the old 60csx.
anyone who used both?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
By the way, here is a picture of yenling83 with a tree he collected, and styled. Totally awesome tree! A year and a half ago, I assisted him with repotting, helping remove some of the mountain duff and getting it into this smaller box. He has also started some root grafts to help get feeder roots closer in to the trunk.

image.jpeg

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
By the way, here is a picture of yenling83 with a tree he collected, and styled. Totally awesome tree! A year and a half ago, I assisted him with repotting, helping remove some of the mountain duff and getting it into this smaller box. He has also started some root grafts to help get feeder roots closer in to the trunk.

View attachment 107757
very cool tree, awesome deathwood, styling could be a bit more dynamic/bring more flow imo.
not sure what it has to do with gps though.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
RMJ or what? More information please!
Sierra juniper.

Djtommy,

This is its first styling. He added the Shari to break up the large lifeline. It took him two full days to wire it. The picture does not do it justice. It IS a very dynamic tree in person.

He found this tree in the mountains. Used his GPS, I'm sure.

Top Bottom