Harry Lauder's Walking Stick

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@coh, do you have pictures of this tree from the nationals? Im curious what it would look like against a different color background.

Its difficult to judge this tree against such contrast, because, imo, its less about the tree for me and more about it's impact on the negative space.

If the tree showed more intentional pruning which highlighted specific curly branches in a way which drew the eye to a specific point or a specific trunk, perhaps then I would consider this masterful instead of simply unique and interesting. Perhaps it does do that in person, though.
Same tree in photo 2 and 13, different background. Not sure if from the same show or not. Slightly different viewing angle in the 2 photos.

Like I said earlier, it was one of the trees that stopped me in my tracks during the exhibition. There's usually only a few of those in each show. I don't know how much of that was the "wow, it's a harry lauder walking stick" factor but it definitely had presence. Hard to explain without being there.

Edit to add - obviously different shows since one has fruit capsules and the other doesn't. @markyscott , which show is your pic from?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just saw the "unusual Bonsai" tag on the mag.

I didn't realize this was a tree I already had so much to say about last time this thread was active.

Capture+_2019-12-24-14-26-54.png

If I ever question a pot, the look, foot size, color, anything really, and I guess it's not limited to pots, I ask my daughter how it makes her feel. She's always right about things, and normally points out things I may be blind to.

She don't like it, says it's ugly, Sorceress too.

Simply...there is too much weight hanging into the right.
The mirror image would be better, with the small trunk leaning into the display, and the heavy trunks counter balancing.

Pot is Vomit inducing.

Makes what could be a dope tree a stupid gimmick.

It's also hiding behind this "unusual" label.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Same tree in photo 2 and 13, different background. Not sure if from the same show or not. Slightly different viewing angle in the 2 photos.

Like I said earlier, it was one of the trees that stopped me in my tracks during the exhibition. There's usually only a few of those in each show. I don't know how much of that was the "wow, it's a harry lauder walking stick" factor but it definitely had presence. Hard to explain without being there.

Edit to add - obviously different shows since one has fruit capsules and the other doesn't. @markyscott , which show is your pic from?
Scott’s image is from BIB Show in Oakland. Don’t know which year.

Bill’s image on the magazine cover is the one taken at the National’s for inclusion of the show book. On the floor of the show, the background is different.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score

They're nuts not fruit capsules - sorry to be pedantic!!

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Just saw the "unusual Bonsai" tag on the mag.

I didn't realize this was a tree I already had so much to say about last time this thread was active.

View attachment 275609

If I ever question a pot, the look, foot size, color, anything really, and I guess it's not limited to pots, I ask my daughter how it makes her feel. She's always right about things, and normally points out things I may be blind to.

She don't like it, says it's ugly, Sorceress too.

Simply...there is too much weight hanging into the right.
The mirror image would be better, with the small trunk leaning into the display, and the heavy trunks counter balancing.

Pot is Vomit inducing.

Makes what could be a dope tree a stupid gimmick.

It's also hiding behind this "unusual" label.

Sorce
You mean like this? I however do like the pot and i also like the tree but I would be tempted to shorten the right side like this.
is it rude to do a Virtual on a tree which is on the cover of a magazine?
8F6949B7-FE69-47B3-ABB8-95AA65285D50.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The trees have no real theme and do not show, "the hand of man" which is the difference between art and nature. While we strive to include nature in our art, nature is often unruly and un-artful. Art is the intentional placing of natural materials in a thematic scene in an appealing way. Something that looks like an idealized depiction of what we'd like to look at in a mountain scene, on a rocky shore, dessert, or you-name-it. We take ordinary trees and make them look like what we'd like to gaze upon. This is not unusual, it's unfinished to be polite. And the pot is esoteric, to say the least.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree currently looks like what hazel looks like in nature, which is nice. But because hazel is unassuming in nature, i would expect a bonsai version of it to elevate the specimen to something beyond simply looking natural.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is in no way traditional but I find it very interesting to look at. I am looking forward to seeing what the future holds for this one.View attachment 180514

I think this one has as much or more potential than that group.

This thread belongs to this tree.

How is THIS tree?

Sorce

Top Bottom