Has Anyone Ever Tried Something Similar to This?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Actually, I worked in a hospital known for its excellent treatment of trauma and burn patients, and there was one patient who was treated with leeches. :eek: I saw them myself. Huge suckers! But I agree with you. Some techniques are best left in the past.
They still use them in some capacity in medicine just not for what they used to be used for. I have also heard of people who had a finger or thumb or something like that either transplanted or reattached where they put a leech on it to stimulate blood flow! Seems to make sense...
Not for use with ED though. ;)

BonsaiMobius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jeez, uh no. smearing honey and sugar on air layers to attract ants to deform bark is silly. Applying "acid" to the same is similar to applying poison. Acid, if it's strong enough to deform bark, would INHIBIT root growth. The most effective way to get an air layer with character now is the same as it was back then--CHOOSE A BRANCH WITH CHARACTER FROM THE BEGINNING.

Some things that are "lost" to time are sometimes better left unrecovered, or they have been discredited. Given the "silly chinaman" style of the article and complete misunderstanding of bonsai as whole by the author, I would say his observations about particular bonsai practices are pretty ignorant or, more politely-- uninformed--as well. The idea that Chinese and Japanese cultures "tortured" plants and animals, as well as humans was rampant back when this text was written as the Wests pried open eastern markets.

Also, put this in perspective scientifically. The now well-understood fact that microbes cause diseases was only a theory in 1848, as were many other of the science we take for granted today. So add in generally low-levels of understanding of biological processes into the mix and you have a pretty shaky foundation for practicing bonsai now using old texts.

The fact that the stuff you're reading was translated into English from Chinese and Japanese back in the day is another big negative. Having worked for a Japanese company for a while, I know quite a lot of information is literally "lost in translation" because of nuances that aren't conveyed by simple words. True going both ways--from English to Japanese and especially Japanese to English.

The thought that we've "lost" stuff to history is true in only a fraction of examples. Such things are anecdotal at best if they're true. Just because it's old and "traditional" doesn't make it superior or worthwhile.

Rockm: I agree with most everything you wrote. However, I am surprised by the complete dismissal of lost methods by so many on this form.

Please don’t misunderstand me. I completely agree that most of the writing and methods during that time period are silly and should be taken with a grain of salt and should be left to the past. I also agree that there is a lot of information that was lost in translation or misrepresented to the west. And just for clarification, most of the accounts that I have been reading are not texts that have been translated but are accounts from westerners visiting China and Japan during that time period. Again, sources that are at high risk for misinformation.

With that being said, those are the earliest firsthand accounts that I personally can access and when those accounts were being written, miniaturizing trees had been a practice that had been in existence for around a millennium. And as I said , this is not an isolated account, using ants for example comes up time and again when you read these early accounts. I also disagree with the statement that “we've "lost" stuff to history is true in only a fraction of examples.” The amount of knowledge and information that humans have lost to history is enormous, you cannot even calculate it. So I think it is ignorant for us westerners to completely dismiss these ideas simply because they are old and no one had tried them recently or be of the thought process that every method we have now is superior. That is all I meant to ask in this tread.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rockm: I agree with most everything you wrote. However, I am surprised by the complete dismissal of lost methods by so many on this form.

Please don’t misunderstand me. I completely agree that most of the writing and methods during that time period are silly and should be taken with a grain of salt and should be left to the past. I also agree that there is a lot of information that was lost in translation or misrepresented to the west. And just for clarification, most of the accounts that I have been reading are not texts that have been translated but are accounts from westerners visiting China and Japan during that time period. Again, sources that are at high risk for misinformation.

With that being said, those are the earliest firsthand accounts that I personally can access and when those accounts were being written, miniaturizing trees had been a practice that had been in existence for around a millennium. And as I said , this is not an isolated account, using ants for example comes up time and again when you read these early accounts. I also disagree with the statement that “we've "lost" stuff to history is true in only a fraction of examples.” The amount of knowledge and information that humans have lost to history is enormous, you cannot even calculate it. So I think it is ignorant for us westerners to completely dismiss these ideas simply because they are old and no one had tried them recently or be of the thought process that every method we have now is superior. That is all I meant to ask in this tread.

SMH, Don't know where to begin....To think that the amount of stuff we've lost to history is a vast well of better ideas is a very Romantic way to think. It's fun to think that way, but in reality it's a pretty empty claim. You can't prove a negative.

We have gained FAR more knowledge than we've lost. We have capitalized on past knowledge spectacularly.

It is extremely easy to dismiss the idea of smearing honey on an air layer to produce some kind of miraculous tree, if you've been doing bonsai for more than a few years and understand the basics of growing and propagating them. That practice is silly, won't work and if you have any real bonsai knowledge, you know that from what you've seen and done yourself. This crap brings to mind the stupid myth of the Chinese and Japanese growing bonsai seeds inside of a mandarin (or whatever kind) orange peel, trimming the roots that emerge from it's perimeter to stunt growth. That was also once a widespread popular bonsai myth. It was inferred (wrongly) from an old Chinese book on gardening too.

Also anyone with any bonsai knowledge--even back then--would know the best way to get a picturesque air layer is to start with picturesque material.

To the uninitiated or inexperienced, bonsai is fraught with mystery, hocus pocus, mumbo jumbo, and sometimes hideous misinformation. The preconceptions beginners bring with them include the (Sorry) "Ancient Chinese Secret" ball of wax, as well the "Eastern thought is superior" to western science myth. Eastern beliefs and practices have no superiority to Western. They are just different. To say Westerners have no understanding or appreciation of the natural world ignores a vast well of history that clearly shows otherwise.

Bonsai, as you know it is only 100 years old or so. Wire and metal tools revolutionized it at the turn of the 19th century. At about the same time, Japanese society opened up to allow common people to practice the hobby that had once been the privilege of only the upper classes. It is not the thousand year old practice many believe it to be. Before the wire and metal tool revolution, bonsai were mostly just potted plants that had no real form imposed on them. To our modern eye, they were pretty ugly. To western eyes back then they were grotesque and that idea crept into just about every western description of them--including the text you have quoted. It is tainted with the Western racism and bias of the time. Should be mentioned that that racism was also present among Asian nations as well.

I grew up in rural Va. where all manner of "traditional" cures, medicine and the like were common. Some had some merit, most were Bullshit and/or fanciful tales. I understand wanting to keep a grasp on "old ways," but have no illusion about their assumed superiority.

FWIW, I am a "traditional" bowhunter. I use a recurve, single string "stick" bow that is vastly inferior in power and efficiency to modern compound bows with pulley systems and precision sights--forget comparing it to the ever-efficient rifle or shotgun.... If I shoot a deer with my bow, it will mostly likely then entail hours of tracking to find the animal. A modern compound bow is vastly more effiencient. It can probably kill the animal in a much, much shorter time, requiring less pain on the animal's part and less tracking on the hunter's part.

I understand the drawbacks, but I choose because I WANT the disadvantage because I enjoy the challenge. Old doesn't make it better. The modern bow was constructed from the knowledge gained from, literally, tens of thousands of year of hunting history with the technology.

Last edited:

BonsaiMobius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
SMH, Don't know where to begin....To think that the amount of stuff we've lost to history is a vast well of better ideas is a very Romantic way to think. It's fun to think that way, but in reality it's a pretty empty claim. You can't prove a negative.

We have gained FAR more knowledge than we've lost. We have capitalized on past knowledge spectacularly.

It is extremely easy to dismiss the idea of smearing honey on an air layer to produce some kind of miraculous tree, if you've been doing bonsai for more than a few years and understand the basics of growing and propagating them. That practice is silly, won't work and if you have any real bonsai knowledge, you know that from what you've seen and done yourself. This crap brings to mind the stupid myth of the Chinese and Japanese growing bonsai seeds inside of a mandarin (or whatever kind) orange peel, trimming the roots that emerge from it's perimeter to stunt growth. That was also once a widespread popular bonsai myth. It was inferred (wrongly) from an old Chinese book on gardening too.

Also anyone with any bonsai knowledge--even back then--would know the best way to get a picturesque air layer is to start with picturesque material.

To the uninitiated or inexperienced, bonsai is fraught with mystery, hocus pocus, mumbo jumbo, and sometimes hideous misinformation. The preconceptions beginners bring with them include the (Sorry) "Ancient Chinese Secret" ball of wax, as well the "Eastern thought is superior" to western science myth. Eastern beliefs and practices have no superiority to Western. They are just different. To say Westerners have no understanding or appreciation of the natural world ignores a vast well of history that clearly shows otherwise.

Bonsai, as you know it is only 100 years old or so. Wire and metal tools revolutionized it at the turn of the 19th century. At about the same time, Japanese society opened up to allow common people to practice the hobby that had once been the privilege of only the upper classes. It is not the thousand year old practice many believe it to be. Before the wire and metal tool revolution, bonsai were mostly just potted plants that had no real form imposed on them. To our modern eye, they were pretty ugly. To western eyes back then they were grotesque and that idea crept into just about every western description of them--including the text you have quoted. It is tainted with the Western racism and bias of the time. Should be mentioned that that racism was also present among Asian nations as well.

I grew up in rural Va. where all manner of "traditional" cures, medicine and the like were common. Some had some merit, most were Bullshit and/or fanciful tales. I understand wanting to keep a grasp on "old ways," but have no illusion about their assumed superiority.

FWIW, I am a "traditional" bowhunter. I use a recurve, single string "stick" bow that is vastly inferior in power and efficiency to modern compound bows with pulley systems and precision sights--forget comparing it to the ever-efficient rifle or shotgun.... If I shoot a deer with my bow, it will mostly likely then entail hours of tracking to find the animal. A modern compound bow is vastly more effiencient. It can probably kill the animal in a much, much shorter time, requiring less pain on the animal's part and less tracking on the hunter's part.

I understand the drawbacks, but I choose because I WANT the disadvantage because I enjoy the challenge. Old doesn't make it better. The modern bow was constructed from the knowledge gained from, literally, tens of thousands of year of hunting history with the technology.

Thanks for your reply, rockm. Once again, I agree with what you say and I never claimed that these methods were superior or viable; I only noted that they appeared to be in use for a significant amount of time.

And please note that I did not say bonsai, I said the act of miniaturizing trees, which did originate in China far, far before it made its way to Japan and was more than just sticks in a pot.

I also agree that in a sense, lost knowledge is mostly an empty claim and that you cannot prove a negative, that is why I said you cannot calculate it. But I also don’t discount the notion that there is useful knowledge that is no longer in practice. Perhaps that is just my naiveté and when I am older and have the experience you have, my thought process will have changed.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for your reply, rockm. Once again, I agree with what you say and I never claimed that these methods were superior or viable; I only noted that they appeared to be in use for a significant amount of time.

And please note that I did not say bonsai, I said the act of miniaturizing trees, which did originate in China far, far before it made its way to Japan and was more than just sticks in a pot.

I also agree that in a sense, lost knowledge is mostly an empty claim and that you cannot prove a negative, that is why I said you cannot calculate it. But I also don’t discount the notion that there is useful knowledge that is no longer in practice. Perhaps that is just my naiveté and when I am older and have the experience you have, my thought process will have changed.

Again, I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

I have a pretty large collection of bonsai books, some dating back to the early 1900s. I've also seen references to old techniques that haven't been so much lost as evolved.

"Account of the Method of Dwarfing Trees and Shrubs, as practiced by the Chinese, including their plan of propagation from branches," written in 1822 for the London horticultural Society is one of those old texts that is pretty accurate at what is being done--ants used to HOLLOW OUT a bonsai branch or carve deadwood -- NOT make the bark look aged. Carpenter ants do this a lot with modern bonsai, as they do with trees in the woods.

Nick Lenz has a larch with finely carved deadwood that was done entirely by ants (by accident mostly) when it was left to grow out in the field. I've had it happen with older collected boxwood and cherry in my backyard.

Insects take quite a long time to do their task with scattershot or deadly results for the tree. Ants and grubs have no artistic sensibilities. They just chew until there isn't anything left to chew.

Modern bonsai has moved on--first to metal tools like gouges and other handheld carving tools, then in the last 40 years, to power tools to make deadwood. Much more efficient and artistic things can be done with such equipment. The "knowledge" hasn't been "lost." It's been made more effective and less chancy. No need for the insects if you have a dremel or an angle grinder.

BonsaiMobius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a pretty large collection of bonsai books, some dating back to the early 1900s. I've also seen references to old techniques that haven't been so much lost as evolved.

"Account of the Method of Dwarfing Trees and Shrubs, as practiced by the Chinese, including their plan of propagation from branches," written in 1822 for the London horticultural Society is one of those old texts that is pretty accurate at what is being done--ants used to HOLLOW OUT a bonsai branch or carve deadwood -- NOT make the bark look aged. Carpenter ants do this a lot with modern bonsai, as they do with trees in the woods.

Nick Lenz has a larch with finely carved deadwood that was done entirely by ants (by accident mostly) when it was left to grow out in the field. I've had it happen with older collected boxwood and cherry in my backyard.

Insects take quite a long time to do their task with scattershot or deadly results for the tree. Ants and grubs have no artistic sensibilities. They just chew until there isn't anything left to chew.

Modern bonsai has moved on--first to metal tools like gouges and other handheld carving tools, then in the last 40 years, to power tools to make deadwood. Much more efficient and artistic things can be done with such equipment. The "knowledge" hasn't been "lost." It's been made more effective and less chancy. No need for the insects if you have a dremel or an angle grinder.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. And perhaps I misspoke when I said "make the bark look aged." More appropriately, I should have said make the tree look aged. In my mind, a hollowed out trunk, is a sign of an aged tree.

I named the thread "Has Anyone Ever Tried Something Similar to This?" because I mainly was curious if anyone had ever had ants interact with their bonsai and what the effect was. I know that it is much more effective and less chancy with modern tools. But like you wanting to use your inferior bow, sometimes there is an attractiveness in attempting things in an old and unique way. If only simply for the challenge and curiosity. I don't intend to go smear honey on my trees, but as a project someday, who knows.

"Ants and grubs have no artistic sensibilities" true but for me that is part of the attraction. It is what nature gives you. Obviously, the pictures below do not translate to bonsai and I wish I could find a link to the time lapse video, but I think what the ants do the apple is pretty cool.

IMG_2578.PNG IMG_2579.PNG IMG_2577.PNG

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, you can give it a try. To do the best job you want the ants to set up a colony in your tree, which if it's in your backyard, will mean those ants will become a nuisance. I had a pretty nice collected black cherry that borers helped along to the grave. Borers do much better work than ants, BTW. Sometimes old ways are more attractive in theory.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Blast the trunks with no.8 birdshot for the ant/termite effect

Top Bottom