Has the GOOD lime/sulfur been banned in California?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is an old post, but I think it is good to let whoever wants to get a good lime sulfur with really good price. I bought the lime sulfur from this store over a year ago. Very good stuff! Because it is large amount, I shared it to my friend and teacher.
http://www.groworganic.com/brandt-lime-sulfur-fungicide-2-5-gallon.html

Bonhe

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is an old post, but I think it is good to let whoever wants to get a good lime sulfur with really good price. I bought the lime sulfur from this store over a year ago. Very good stuff! Because it is large amount, I shared it to my friend and teacher.
http://www.groworganic.com/brandt-lime-sulfur-fungicide-2-5-gallon.html

Bonhe

Thanks for the tip, bonhe - that looks like it'll work. Maybe I'll assemble some friends and split one of those giant bottles.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

jcrossett

Chumono
Reaction score
Stone lantern has it I bought a small bottle a few months ago but haven't used it yet. Don't think it expires just wanted it to have it lol.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I only use it for painting jins.

Consider carefully the benefits of dormant spraying. It helps prevent insect and fungal problems with your trees in the early spring when both become active and significantly reduces your reliance on insecticides and fungicides throughout the year. Here is a great video discussing a dormant spray strategy - I follow this religiously.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I use Neem oil for a dormant spray and if I cant find that, I use Horticultural oil.

Neem oil and horticultural oil are great choices as dormant sprays for insects. Not so much for fungal diseases. As in the video, I spray in winter with oil for hibernating insects and in early spring with lime sulfur as a fungal spray.

Scott

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Neem oil and horticultural oil are great choices as dormant sprays for insects. Not so much for fungal diseases. As in the video, I spray in winter with oil for hibernating insects and in early spring with lime sulfur as a fungal spray.

Scott

I use Daconil and Copper based fungicides for fungus issues. Lime sulphur as a fungicide is not commercially available to the public here (at least I have never seen it for sale in the usual places). If might available for landscapers or others with NY pesticide certifications.

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Scott
Do you do this with deciduous trees only?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Good point, because what I am reading says its not useful for evergreens because it burns the leaves. I mostly use fungicides on my pines and junipers. I usually dont have problems with my azaleas or maples and for them I just use the daconil.
Besides the smell, lime sulphur can also cause blindness, so its not something Id want to be spraying even with protective equipment. I keep my trees in the back yard with the dogs. I normally lock them out of the yard for an hour or so when I have to spray and I use a fenced in area they cant get into. Still would rather use something a bit less caustic.

The wiki even mentions its use in Bonsai for dead wood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lime_sulfur

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Yes - I use it on all deciduous trees during dormancy. I also use in on all broadleaf evergreens such as azaleas. I've not used it on conifers such as junipers or pines. The only fungal issue I've had with those is needle cast on pine. I spray with daconil or copper a couple of times a year for that.

I've been able to get Hi-Yield until recently - they've stopped manufacturing it so I've been looking for a substitute.

Scott

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
I was amazed recently to find my tutor only sells in 50ml tubs now
I used to buy 250ml tubs, I asked why?
Apparently it is used in certain concoctions for suicide
There is a help forum which helps people end their life's
I was so shocked and horrified
He can now only sell in small amounts
So sad :(

markyscott