Has the GOOD lime/sulfur been banned in California?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here it is.

Lime Sulfur Dip vs. "Bonsai Lime Sulfur"

I purchased both through Amazon. The dip cost $24.98 for a 16 oz bottle or $1.56/oz. The "Bonsai Lime Sulfur" cost $18.54 for an 8 oz bottle or $2.32/oz.

image.jpeg

The dip is listed as "97.8% sulfurated lime solution". The "Bonsai Lime Sulfur" is listed as 29% CalciumPolysulfide. But as I pointed out in the link to the MSDS above, the Davis product is 29% CalciumPolysulfide.

Not very scientific, but they both have that same old rotten egg smell we all love. Looks the same, to boot.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Between the appearance, smell, and MSDS - I'd say that these are likely the same product. Note also that the Davis product comes in 1 gallon size as well at a significant discount. That product is $82.49 a gallon, or $0.64/oz - less than 1/2 the cost of the 16 oz bottle.

Scott

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here it is.

Lime Sulfur Dip vs. "Bonsai Lime Sulfur"

I purchased both through Amazon. The dip cost $24.98 for a 16 oz bottle or $1.56/oz. The "Bonsai Lime Sulfur" cost $18.54 for an 8 oz bottle or $2.32/oz.

View attachment 115867

The dip is listed as "97.8% sulfurated lime solution". The "Bonsai Lime Sulfur" is listed as 29% CalciumPolysulfide. But as I pointed out in the link to the MSDS above, the Davis product is 29% CalciumPolysulfide.

Not very scientific, but they both have that same old rotten egg smell we all love. Looks the same, to boot.
View attachment 115869
View attachment 115870

Between the appearance, smell, and MSDS - I'd say that these are likely the same product.

Scott

Note that both of these products are 1% higher concentration than the old Hi-Yield product, whose label I listed above. I make no recommendation for use, but I personally wouldn't hesitate to use either at the dilution rates specified for Hi-Yield in application as a dormant spray.

Scott

Jhilliard6

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Note that both of these products are 1% higher concentration than the old Hi-Yield product, whose label I listed above. I make no recommendation for use, but I personally wouldn't hesitate to use either at the dilution rates specified for Hi-Yield in application as a dormant spray.

Scott

Thank you very much for investigating there markyscott, I didn’t want to shell out the extra cash and really need to start sealing the deadwood on a couple trees I just acquired, which is already white aged.

Have you tested both to see that they have similar effects?

Jordan

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
A solution of household bleach @~15 to 20% in water painted on with a synthetic brush and left in place will have the same appearance after 3 or 4 applications a couple weeks apart. After that, once or twice a year at show time. Don't do it in clothes you like...

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you very much for investigating there markyscott, I didn’t want to shell out the extra cash and really need to start sealing the deadwood on a couple trees I just acquired, which is already white aged.

Have you tested both to see that they have similar effects?

Jordan

I’ve been using the Davis product for about three years. Appears to work exactly the same as the hi yield product to me.

S

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
15% to 20% household (laundry) bleach in water: one or two shots in a 8 oz coffee cup of water.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Do you use it full strength or dilute it?

It depends on the purpose. For dormant spraying, I dilute it. For deadwood applications, I use it full strength or sometimes with a bit of India ink.

S

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For deadwood, I dilute the lime sulfur 50/50 in water. My process is to wet the deadwood with water first, then let it air dry about 1/2 hour. Then paint it with the 50/50 solution. What I find happens is the solution soaks into the deadwood. It takes a couple days for it to completely dry and lose that yellow tinge it has when fresh. But, it eventually turns white and lasts a long time. It’s not a very harsh white.

I find that lime sulfur painted on dry deadwood at full strength tends to almost look like white paint when it dries. It’s a very stark white.

My method (wet deadwood, diluted) doesn’t cover up the grain.

Here is a tree I used this method on:

9F9E647B-5B0B-4351-9AB5-78E38C1EE9A9.jpeg

This picture was taken last Saturday, June 29, 2019 at the National Shohin Exhibition. I applied the lime sulfur solution in early September, 2018. In my climate, I did get a bit of algae, which I addressed with a light touch up of vinegar applied with a Q-Tip. I didn’t want to do a fresh treatment of lime sulfur before the Exhibition as I thought it looked very natural as it was. In fact, the judge commented that the “soft white” look of the deadwood is the way most trees in Japan are being presented. The super bright white look is no longer in vogue.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When you guys spray your trees with the lime sulfur as a dormant spray do you worry about covering the soil so as to not get the lime sulfur down to the roots?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not having access to hiyield.. What is the recommended solution? 1:100 ?

It calls for 5 fl oz per gallon of lime sulfur plus 1 oz per gallon horticultural oil. I posted the entire label in the resource I wrote. Here’s the link.

s

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Is this okay to use?

Calcium Polysulfide . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 29.0%
OTHER INGREDIENTS:. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 71.0%
TOTAL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100.0%

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Where we volunteer we use a lime sulfur product for crops…

Rex Lime Sulfur. It’s 28% too.

It’s used straight out of the bottle after scrubbing the deadwood with water and various small bristle brushes

There’s a photo of the product on the lower right. That’s a bonsai by Nick Lenz I believe.

jfyi There are multiple hazards listed on the SDS, see below…. It’s a read. Note safety gear. I guess my “protective clothing” consists of old work clothes

BD488213-39FF-4729-AF7E-DF902FA7B708.jpeg

Cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interesting thought.

I’ll chat with the Curator about it this week. Its always his call.

btw It’s back at the Pacific Bonsai Museum now.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom