Haws watering can

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There are very few Haws cans available in our market right now. Mostly the little 1 and 2 pint cans and they are fully plastic. That's not enough when you have more than 3 or 4 trees to water... You can get the metal ones overseas, don't know why they don't bring them here anymore, maybe not enough demand.

When I started bonsai I lived in an apartment while my house sold and the new one was built and I bought a Tierra-Derco 2.6 gal can and adapted a Dramm 170AL breaker to it, made it a bit better as far as not wasting water (the big rosette splashed water outside a 1 gal nursery container). Still not as good as the old metal Haws. Dramm have some decent alternatives, but they are all plastic and they don't last here in TX.

I'm doing some research to make a 3/8" or 1/2" diameter 75' long hose with some cheap Harbor Freight or Amazon air compressor line adapting a Dramm wand with my 750PL or a 480PL or AL if I can get my hands on one. This will be a very light weight alternative to using a traditional hose, and a more durable one as well when compared to the newer "woven" light weight hoses around that only seem to last 1 year or less with me.

Tierra Derco.jpg

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It looks like there are a bunch of Haws watering cans on eBay. Fwiw, I love mine. It’s beautiful and extremely well made - something that’s clearly designed for a lifetime of service. One caution - the watering rose is extremely fine and clogs very easily if you’re planning on using it for fertilization. So much so for me, that I hardly ever use it for that purpose. I much prefer my other can with larger hole size in the watering rose for fertilizer. Not sure what the brand is. I can only barely make out the logo.
700666FA-85E8-4D57-B87D-245436A683D5.jpeg
CEDB41B7-284D-4E75-90E2-B4516D60527B.jpeg
D5C9E865-D799-4E8A-970E-F6008C88E10D.jpeg

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
When I used to work at a bonsai nursery decades ago they had a stainless Japanese can with a mesh filter so it didn’t suck in bits frin tge water butts - I see them sometimes but they cost a fortune!!!!

My next-best thing is a plastic Haws greenhouse can (small/light enough to lift high and with a long enough spout to get proper pressure), I want another one but they discontinued them!

This one: https://www.harrodhorticultural.com/haws-5-litre-long-reach-watering-can-plastic-pid8964.html

D

Deleted member 32750

So many people swear by haws watering cans, and seeing videos I can see why. But I cant find any for the life of me here in canada, ive tried online, and in stores like lee valley. The thing is I can find the small 1 litre ones quite easily but they are so small it would be annoying to use it.

Does anybody know of places that have the 2 litre ones in stock and that ship to canada? Or even another type of watering can that is similar to the haws watering can?
I bought this one. It's expensive at $118 but it's metal with a brass rose and it's really nice. Definitely makes you enjoy watering when you have a nice can imo. Previously I was using a plastic can from Lowes and the spray was way too course and it just washed the top soil off my pots.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
I emailed Haws and they replied about US shipping:

"Unfortunately, we don’t currently ship direct to the US, however, there are a number of retailers in the US who stock our products. Have a look at these sites;

https://bosmereusa.com/ Plastic cans only

https://www.shopterrain.com/

http://www.leevalley.com/

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/

I’m afraid our US dealers are currently low on stock of some products, but we are hoping to get a shipment out to them in the coming months! "

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not sure what the brand is. I can only barely make out the logo.

View attachment 357649
German made BAT brand. Started manufacturing after the war.

Interesting background from this website

BAT Gießkanne Kanne - Watering Can
This is a vintage 'Bat' Brand Zink watering can. It is embossed with the Bat Logo and also '10LDIN'. This stands for 10 Liter DIN. (Deutsches Institut für Normung e.V. (DIN; in English, the German Institute for Standardization) is the German national organization for standardization)

"The original logo of the bat came from Erfurt. The MeWa Beierfeld later Foron, however, developed his own bat mark in the 50s,which was then used for the lanterns BAT 158 and BAT 159. Since the 1950s watering cans with 3,5,8,10 and 13 liters content have been produced. Likewise, one manufactured fuel tanks with 10l and 20l content for the population. As well as oil cans with 2l content. In addition to the products mentioned were many other sheet metal products made by MeWa Beierfeld. The production ran until 1989." SOURCE: J. Wekenmann

"The bat mark of the company Stübgen has a little odyssey behind it. It was first used by Stübgen, then by the HASAG. After the war first the Englishmen secured the trademark right at this sign and then
the MeWa. Since the English already had the right to the original had the MeWa to modify it a bit. The original bat has down-hanging wings and a big belly. The trademark of MeWa had horizontal wings and
was pretty slim." SOURCE: J. Wekenmann

SIDE NOTE:
I found this can one morning while walking my pup, Jäger. It was off in the bushes in front of a neighbors house. I had to do a double take with my eyes as I couldn't believe what I was seeing. This is certainly something you do not see in Oregon! I found the original owner and convinced her to sell it to me and now it resides with all the rest of my Fledermaus lanterns.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yea I was able to find alot of the small ones and indoor ones but I wanted the conservatory one. unfortunately couldn't find any websites in canada or us that sold them
Yeah looks like the only place I can find them now is bonanza but never shopped on that site before don't know how good it is

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I splurged and ordered a copper haws can and I love it so much. Exactly what I was hoping for. My collection is pretty small though so its not very useful for most nutters I’d think.

Still - what a joy to use and look at! I wish I had bought it a while ago. $110 for a top of the line tool that I’ll use everyday is one of the better bonsai purchases I’ve made.

Attachments

• E0DAD39F-298E-4A9B-AB19-7E0B91F6D2AC.jpeg
    E0DAD39F-298E-4A9B-AB19-7E0B91F6D2AC.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 68B43DDD-3CB1-465E-9B2C-3F4B694F9C30.jpeg
    68B43DDD-3CB1-465E-9B2C-3F4B694F9C30.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 45

weetree3

Yamadori
Reaction score
I splurged and ordered a copper haws can and I love it so much. Exactly what I was hoping for. My collection is pretty small though so its not very useful for most nutters I’d think.

Still - what a joy to use and look at! I wish I had bought it a while ago. $110 for a top of the line tool that I’ll use everyday is one of the better bonsai purchases I’ve made.
Where did you find it?

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

>$100 is solid for a watercan but as you said, it is used often and you like it.

took me 3 cheap ones to finally dish like $40 out for a metal one...but its really not softflow or nimble enough for all the bonsai, its just generally nice for my raised beds and larger bonsai. this one:
1621266723449.png
i found the best for the smaller bonsai pots is a modified cap 2-liter soda container or my pump sprayer which i can soak
into the smaller pots pretty quickly.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
I ordered a 9L Haws on March 1 and it just shipped today, like 75 days later. My patience better be worth it after y'all sold me on it!

Top Bottom