Heating Elements for Propogating Cuttings

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I know introducing heat greatly increases the success of rooting cuttings. What type of heating elements do you guys and gals use? I was thinking of using a heating pad like this below my pot: http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-756-500-Heating-Pad-UltraHeatTechnology/dp/B00006IV4N/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382962367&sr=8-2&keywords=heating+pad

I figure the heat provided from a pad like this in addition to a humidity tent will greatly improve my success from 0%. ;)

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They make heat mats for propagation. They won't overheat like the one you linked, and they don't have the annoying shutoff circuitry after a certain time like most of these (though, I see according to that link that this specific one doesn't).

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can get a small heating mat for plants for about $30, get one with a thermostat.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great. Thanks for the info! Which ones do you guys use, if any?

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks the the good information everybody. I will most definitely be purchasing one for the upcoming spring. Is the thermostat an absolute necessity? I'm all about saving a buck when I can. I was thinking I could just leave it on for periods of time with a towel in between the trays and the mat to prevent overheating. From what I've researched, the best temps are between 70-80 degrees F.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks the the good information everybody. I will most definitely be purchasing one for the upcoming spring. Is the thermostat an absolute necessity? I'm all about saving a buck when I can. I was thinking I could just leave it on for periods of time with a towel in between the trays and the mat to prevent overheating. From what I've researched, the best temps are between 70-80 degrees F.

Yes, otherwise it'll be too hot. Gotta have the thermostat.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yes, otherwise it'll be too hot. Gotta have the thermostat.

In the words of my 4 year old son, "Oh fahts"(farts). :p

I guess I will just splurge a little and get one. I was hoping the towel(s) in between would help drop the temp enough on its own. Thanks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
But the one Bob posted looks like it has a built in thermostat, correct?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really, spend the extra ten bucks and get the thermostat. Don't go cheap.

Top Bottom