Help! Bug invasion of my favorite tree! 😭

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So simple to swish the foliage in a bucket of soapy water for 30 seconds. Gets to every nook and cranny, job done. It is my procedure anytime I have to deal with a heavily infested plant.
It is by far the simplest and most effective procedure to eradicate the little sh..its. When I have a serious outbreak, which happens less and less frequently, I can do a dozen plants in 5 to 10 minutes and then move on.
I was concerned the first time I did it, but it turns out is is one of the best things I have learned.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So simple to swish the foliage in a bucket of soapy water for 30 seconds. Gets to every nook and cranny, job done. It is my procedure anytime I have to deal with a heavily infested plant.
It is by far the simplest and most effective procedure to eradicate the little sh..its. When I have a serious outbreak, which happens less and less frequently, I can do a dozen plants in 5 to 10 minutes and then move on.
I was concerned the first time I did it, but it turns out is is one of the best things I have learned.
Can you recommend a volume of soap? I did this last year by recommendation of someone on the form to combat scale on a juniper, with little effect. I must have done it wrong, but I let the juniper soak for a good five or six hours after a vigorous swishing.

Attachments

• 20200320_171251.jpg
    20200320_171251.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 14

LunaticTree

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you recommend a volume of soap? I did this last year by recommendation of someone on the form to combat scale on a juniper, with little effect. I must have done it wrong, but I let the juniper soak for a good five or six hours after a vigorous swishing.
Its the same ration when you do the dishes, you add enough for the water to be soapy, but not to littl

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The efficacy of soaps on scale is debatable and it is suggested that different scales react in different ways from no control to complete control. Honestly, I use systemics for scale.
But for mites, mealy bug, aphids and such, a prolonged dunking as you have suggested has not been necessary for me. Recommended rates as a spray are anywhere from a teaspoon per quart to a tablespoon per quart. The higher rate is recommended by Lisa Bronner, granddaughter of Dr. Bronner. As a dip, I have found 3 to 4 tablespoons, or about 2 ounces in a bucket with 3 to 4 gallons of warm water. Mites seem to simply disappear and mealy bugs seem to dissolve. Other soaps are effective I am sure but I have been using Bonner's Peppermint soap for about 50 years for personnel hygiene like showers and shampoo. Used it today, used it yesterday, will use it tomorrow. I have also used Bonner's Tea Tree Oil soap and Lavender Oil soap. My wife prefers the Tea Tree but we are out of that one now. I like it as well but I have a 50 year relationship with the Peppermint, which incidently is the one most recommed for insects, though I think they all work.

Lumaca

Mame
Reaction score
If you're looking for "alternative" methods that's been used forever over here in the tropics by traditional farmers:

Soak a bunch of spent cigarette butts (like a whole pack) in 1-1.5 liter of water for a week, add 2-3 drops of dish soap and spray the plants. The plant will stink for a while though (but that's the point).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The efficacy of soaps on scale is debatable and it is suggested that different scales react in different ways from no control to complete control. Honestly, I use systemics for scale.
But for mites, mealy bug, aphids and such, a prolonged dunking as you have suggested has not been necessary for me. Recommended rates as a spray are anywhere from a teaspoon per quart to a tablespoon per quart. The higher rate is recommended by Lisa Bronner, granddaughter of Dr. Bronner. As a dip, I have found 3 to 4 tablespoons, or about 2 ounces in a bucket with 3 to 4 gallons of warm water. Mites seem to simply disappear and mealy bugs seem to dissolve. Other soaps are effective I am sure but I have been using Bonner's Peppermint soap for about 50 years for personnel hygiene like showers and shampoo. Used it today, used it yesterday, will use it tomorrow. I have also used Bonner's Tea Tree Oil soap and Lavender Oil soap. My wife prefers the Tea Tree but we are out of that one now. I like it as well but I have a 50 year relationship with the Peppermint, which incidently is the one most recommed for insects, though I think they all work.
Thank you! I appreciate the detailed answer. What duration of dunking do you recommend?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you! I appreciate the detailed answer. What duration of dunking do you recommend?
I just dunk and swish. Maybe 10 seconds. Longer shouldn't hurt but I don't recall ever needing to go very much longer. The idea is that dunking gets it everywhere a spraying might miss.

Top Bottom