Help choose a pot for this big elm.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Love this tree! One of the best Elms I’ve seen. Generally echoing others. Feminine but large and bold enough to contain the tree. Can’t wait to see what you find!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Wilson the pots pictured in my earlier post are both 17" wide and a bit less, front to back.
I think an appropriate size to compliment the spread of the canopy.
Aim for a nice bright, light glaze......unglazed brown?!?! C'mon man, get some bling in this piece!!!o_O:):):):):)

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Velodog2 thanks man! @LanceMac10 I will definitely check out bonsai west, short 4 hr drive. That's an easy drive, I could be there when they open their doors! I like you suggestion for a pot with colour, I am just learning the dynamics of coloured ceramics.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Give me a heads-up if you get a chance to make the trip(check store hours, winter schedule). Around a half-hour trip for me.
Not a lot of tree stock, and what is there is expensive, but thrifty priced pots for days.
NEW England bonsai has the higher end stuff, but it's up in the barn so you got to have someone take you out there. Chinese and Japanese stuff.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Give me a heads-up if you get a chance to make the trip(check store hours, winter schedule). Around a half-hour trip for me.
Not a lot of tree stock, and what is there is expensive, but thrifty priced pots for days.
NEW England bonsai has the higher end stuff, but it's up in the barn so you got to have someone take you out there. Chinese and Japanese stuff.

Cheap and cheerful is my kinda thing! I could just imagine answer the border agents question of the purpose of my trip, "pot shopping":D Seems like a good reason to take a road trip, escape the routine!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this is the first winter I have boarded trees at a greenhouse for the winter, and spring comes hella early there! I stopped in today, and buds are starting to open! I am at least optimistic that I will have some trees to work on, earlier then expected!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
JM's are doable right now, I figure. As long as you protect them a bit, don't let them freeze solid. I'll do a large crab apple next weekend, most likely. Cork Elm showing a little color, Siberian Elm usually a little later, both need to be repotted, a couple weeks from now? JBP? I don't mess with until I can actually leave it outside, porch don't count!!!:D:D:D:D

New England Bonsai has started their spring workshops. I usually start moving on stuff around the same time. Cheater!!!!;):rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was definetly surprised when I walked in the greenhouse, and saw buds opening on trees. I will probably follow Walter's advice, and repot with buds opening. The JBP in the greenhouse are pushing their new candles too, it's a whole different growing schedule!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was definetly surprised when I walked in the greenhouse, and saw buds opening on trees. I will probably follow Walter's advice, and repot with buds opening. The JBP in the greenhouse are pushing their new candles too, it's a whole different growing schedule!
Yes, it's pretty great to get a jump start, and you get more growing season time, which is important if you live in a cold short season climate.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, it's pretty great to get a jump start, and you get more growing season time, which is important if you live in a cold short season climate.
This winter has got me thinking about investing in developing a cold room. I already have a sunroom that doesn't really get used for winter, just maintained around 50°. I would just need to organize to give them strong light come spring, and manage humidity. The greenhouse rental is all about convenience, he maintains the trees, and provides work tables for winter/spring work.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I got this one into a first step pot, definetly not it's final pot. My friend was confident that I could have reduced more roots, but I preferred playing it safe. The mounding of the roots is a temporary thing. @LanceMac10 I know the brown pot is about as good looking as the brown velour track suit I had as a kid, but it will fade into a memory. 20190615_082327.jpg20190615_082239.jpg20190615_082351.jpg

Top Bottom