Please help me choose a cascade pot

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think I prefer the grey one for stability, but I do like a nice orange for a bit of colour.
1604457568907.png 1604457735114.png

I had the same problem so
I made one from a cedar plank and stained it the colour I wanted.
In just over 2-1/2 yrs there's a crack in 2 sides that is insignificant.

When I see the tree you wired, it appears windswept above the pot, but not below.
Is that intentional?

I do fret over mine in the winds, but I do so with most all my pots on my 24 yr old weathered 2x6 deck railing.
I should use a couple of 90º brackets, and screw it down.
On a turntable while working on it, I put a board and invert another pot, then rest this on top of that so to swivel
the lower apex over the railing full circle. Otherwise it only spins about 90º, then I have to raise and rotate the pot
with the cascade on the other side of the railing over and over which gets really irritating.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
What I would like is some opinions and advice on is choosing the right pot. How does it differ from choosing a standard pot? How high should it be? Is this a cascade or semi cascade? What are the main factors when choosing a cascade pot? (and) Does anyone have any suggestions for what would go nicely with this? Thanks.
Hello, rectangular cascade pot, as far as i know, are more heavy/male looking (straight lines, wider/larger shape than round pot because of the rectangular shape) so they are better with strong trunks, male looking trees.
IMO, a round cascade pot would fit better to your tree, because your tree is more "feminine" looking (thin and light trunk, feminine curves)

A semi cascade has foliage lower than the upper edge of the pot. Cascade Bonsai has foliage lower than the feet of the pot. So, for me, your tree is a cascade.

IMO, a round, unglazed, flared, & deep brown pot with no sculpture, no attracting colors would be good for your tree to let the eyes of a viewer go on your tree and not on the pot (a sober and feminine pot so that the pot doesn't take over the tree). Just my feeling.
DSCN2503.jpg

DSCN2738.jpg

______capture ryan40.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So it’s about trends as much as anything then with regards to shape and style? There’s no “junipers go in this style, pines in this” etc traditionally? I have been looking for a simple round really for now so I can adjust the front as my mood changes and as it develops until it’s ready for a proper pot.

Do you use any tricks to stopping the tall pots from falling over?
Weight! Use lava large size(drainage layer)in bottom of pot as anchor. Many people also tie pots down to bench;). As to "fashions" of pots do not be coerced by peoples prejudice. Fashions come and go and all styles stay in fashion if is your choice. If wanting bigger trunk don't put in small bonsai pot but give some years to develop.

Last edited:
Top Bottom