Help identify juniper/ worth the price?

Jacob54

Seedling
Reaction score
While browsing through my local craigslist I found this old juniper with what looks to have some good potential (to me) however I just have 1 year of experience. Acouple of questions I have are; 500$ is the price does that seem fair?
And what kind of juniper is this?thank you all!

C2ABCA29-D891-44D2-B7F1-D92432A05E7B.png1F4A97CB-F952-4FEF-A07D-7C6338146C0A.png

Attachments

• D7D96F5E-B306-4C1D-8463-F359607CC0CD.png
    D7D96F5E-B306-4C1D-8463-F359607CC0CD.png
    285.8 KB · Views: 50

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It might be a procumbens, but the pic is really bad and I cant see the foliage clearly. It is a nice specimen nonetheless. How talk and thick it is?

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If that was real deadwood it would definitely be worth 500, but it looks like Tanuki/added dead wood.

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Would probably be helpful mentioning where you're located, since prices of bonsai vary depending on location. Also, it's hard placing a definite value on bonsai because it's an art and art is subjective. My teacher bought a big yaupon holly the other week for 900 and thought it was a steal, whereas I wouldn't have paid more than 100 for it.

Looks like a very old nana procumbens. Most likely a tanuki as Srt8madness mentioned. You can probably negotiate for a lower price since its a tanuki, but I personally wouldn't pick it up for 500.

Jacob54

Seedling
Reaction score
I appreciate all the comments. Answered most of my questions. I personally think it looks really cool, but was just curious as to if I’d be overpaying. I’m new to bonsai world and have only purchased 2 very small junipers. Wanted to get something slightly older/ more established.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Well, looks great from the front!
Definitely a tanooki of sorts.
Not great in regards to the technique.
Looks relatively Quickly done, using a nice big piece of deadwood masking the live trunk in opposed to melding with it.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
no do not purchase.. just somone trying to pawn off a straight up run of mill nursery juniper w a piece of deadwood ugh 😑 . I wouldn’t even spend a dollar , don’t mean to sound like a snob but we’re here to elevate , not stoop to their quick cash scheme. Those types of sellers are pirañas I’d stay away. I could help you identify up 5 decent pre bonsai material with that 500 dollars somone would spend on that piece of junk .

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hard pass for me too. Unless the pot is worth $400 🤔

Top Bottom