Help me identify this Juniper

leus

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hello friends. It happens that I have this thing in my entryway:
juniper-1.jpg
It looks like a Juniper to me, but I'd like to know which kind. Here's a closeup:
juniper-2.jpg
And here's a closeup of the seed... pods? cones?. Incidentally, I grabbed a bunch of them and started extracting the seeds - I have a LOT of seeds, but I've read that it's not really worth it since it is easier to just cut a branch and plant it.
juniper-3.jpg

Any help is welcome!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Flat foliage pads is either Thuja or Chamaecyparis. Thuja was my initial impression but I don't know them well enough to ID to species level.
Both have many different cultivars, sometimes very different to the original species.
Cones are usually the key defining feature.

leus

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wow, Thuja? I know nothing about Junipers then :)

This tree is located in Santiago, Chile. Thank you for your replies!

Edit: according to the link, it definitely is a Platycladus Orientalis, or Chinese Thuja. Is it worth to get its seeds, then?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea its not a juniper. Very common landscape plant around here for hedges

Reaction score
Hello friends. It happens that I have this thing in my entryway:
View attachment 431309
It looks like a Juniper to me, but I'd like to know which kind. Here's a closeup:
View attachment 431310
And here's a closeup of the seed... pods? cones?. Incidentally, I grabbed a bunch of them and started extracting the seeds - I have a LOT of seeds, but I've read that it's not really worth it since it is easier to just cut a branch and plant it.
View attachment 431311

Any help is welcome!
I managed to turn mine into a bonsai over +/- 7 years.. not an easy specimen to work with but very hardy and will survive most of the apocalypse

Attachments

• 20230829_154137.jpg
    20230829_154137.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom