Help on collecting a Cork Oak.

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello all,

My neighbor has a cork oak that was planted by some squirrels about fifteen years ago in his front yard. He said that he chopps it down every few years because he is too lazy to dig it out. It is about 3-4 inches in diameter and about 8-9 inches tall. The bark is completely corked and looks great. It has shoots from last year sticking out at all angles.

I have read the basics for collecting but have never done it. My question is: Has anybody on here ever collected a cork oak? What should I be doing different for this species?

I am going to give it a go next week because the weather is warming up and I know my Cal Live oaks are going to put out new shoots in a few weeks.

thanks for any tips.

Rich

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
tendency for oaks is long tap root, running roots. its rare to find nice root ball close to trunk . if you you can wait another year prep the tree by cutting around roots in ground. This will improve success rate exponentially. Cut diameter smaller than actual proposed collection diameter periodically throughout year in sections with sharpened spade, to stimulate tighter root ball. a sawzall is good choice for large tap/ runner. if you take the effort to prep the roots this way then might as well expand the periodic diameter cuts into a "trench" and fill with bonsai-ish soil mix, and include some spag moss. at least you should go and make a few test cuts with spade to see if there is root ball close to trunk prior to dig day.

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks. I was worried about the tap root. Hopefully there are some roots closer to the surface because the yard is watered so often. I'll take your advice and check to see first. If not, its been there 15 years it can wait another one.

Rich

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would wait for someone with experience in your area with this species. The tap root thing is applicable for some eastern oaks, but may not apply to western species that could have tendencies towards shallower root systems. It doesn't apply to all eastern oak species. You may be able to be more aggressive in collecting a coak oak in California.

I always check where a person is responding from before taking advice. Collecting is always a local thing. What works in one area with one species MAY not be transferable, especially across 3,000 miles....

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There's a great article in the GSBF Golden Statements on collecting CA natives, specifically CA oaks, by Paul Holtzen (he is on this forum as Paul H). He recomends defoliating when collecting oaks. Granted, cork oaks aren't true CA natives, but they can be treated like other native CA live oaks. The article is here:

http://www.gsbf-bonsai.org/magazines/2011/v34_06.pdf

I think since the tree is in the owners yard and has been watered regularly that roots shouldn't be too much of an issue. Now is the time of year for collecting, especially here on the cali coast, so good luck to you and post some pics!

Cory

Last edited:

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
I lived in California for over 20 years la area. So while I am 3k away I'm quite familiar with California, and have successfully collected different Cali oaks. Also be careful they "california" oaks are protected in some areas and collection is verboten, so don't be surprised if over protective neighbors call you on it. I bought a cali oak in a pot from a nursery it had a long tap root. But was lucky to have roots near surface. But most all the lanscape stuff I collected while in California where they were watered regularly all had high roots close to base. Also if you chop. It's not bleeding to death. The "bleeding " is normal after chop and will subside.

Definitely post pics.

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks. The oak is a Quercus Suber not a native oak. So nobody will raise a fuss. Plus its almost nonexistent to most people because its been chopped to about 8-9 inches tall. I might dig it this weekend but will probably wait until next week because of the Super Bowl. Its pretty straght but has nice girth. It will take many years for it to become anything resembling a bonsai.

I'll be sure to post pics.

Rich

Top Bottom