Help with Fukien Tea Tree

zackszlez

Seed
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I got my first bonsai tree a few weeks ago, and I'm having some issues. It's a 20 year old Fukien tea tree. A few days after I got it home, some leaves started falling off, and it's only got worse with time. I was instructed by the person who sold it to me to put the pot in a bath of water about once a week for 2 hours, so that's what I've been doing, and I put it next to a window.

Whenever I touch the pot or there is any kind of breeze (in the apartment) a bunch of leaves will fall off, but it is still growing new small lighter green leaves. I think maybe I'm under watering it, but I also don't want to over water it, so I'm not sure what to do.

Please help! I have really fallen in love with this tree and don't want to kill it if it's still possible to rescue it. Thanks

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fukien leaves will turn yellow and fall off with too much water. I think this is probably what is happening. The soil will feel very dry and the leaves will droop. Then, you water it.

lehigh4me

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would agree with JackHammer. Sounds like overwatering. I water my Fuken Tea Tree when the top of the soil is slightly dry and the pot feels slightly lighter in weight. Best thing is to learn to water when it needs watering and not a weekly schedule. Good luck with the new tree.

Top Bottom