Hinoki Cypress Update

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
*Update on page 2*
Well, I have been posting some updates on my trees lately, so here is another one that some of you might be familiar with. This is a Hinoki Cypress I have been training for about 11 years. It is about 16 inches tall. I did a pretty moderate root pruning and repot in the Spring, so I figured I would let this guy just rest and grow for the whole season. It's earned it. Next year I plan to reduce the silhouette.

Rob

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great tree, foliage nice and tight to the trunk but you can still see the curves. Really nice work. If not for the other things on the photo, I would have thought it was bigger. Looks like it could be standing in a forest.

Last edited:

Mbpauley

Yamadori
Reaction score
I've gotta say, Rob... Posts like these are one of the main reasons I lurk this site so much. Even if I've seen this tree or any one of your others 100 times, I'll always open the thread to see it once more. Thanks for all the updates you've given lately.

Michael

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great ! I really like how you can see the small branch in the upper right of the tree. Nice little detail. Thanks for posting.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great tree, foliage nice and tight to the trunk but you can still see the curves. Really nice work. If not for the other things on the photo, I would have thought it was bigger. Looks like it could be standing in a forest.

Thanks Ny. It has been a very cooperative tree. Unusual for a hinoki.:D

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've gotta say, Rob... Posts like these are one of the main reasons I lurk this site so much. Even if I've seen this tree or any one of your others 100 times, I'll always open the thread to see it once more. Thanks for all the updates you've given lately.

Michael

Thanks Mb...Your compliment is very inspirational to me. I always say, be happy with your accomplishments, but never satisfied. There is so much to learn in bonsai, it is a life long journey. I hope that I can continue to progress and post work that others, as well as myself, enjoy.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great ! I really like how you can see the small branch in the upper right of the tree. Nice little detail. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Dave. After about 11 years in the same position, the tree was rotated a bit on the last repot. The new angle shows off more a wider nebari. The tree started as a bush that I paid about $30 for from a local garden center.

Rob

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you have pictures of the other angles of this tree, I'd love to see them. It's a very 3d tree, but I keep trying to see around the corners. I thought we were supposed to have holograms by now. Oh well.
Really nice work of course!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
If you have pictures of the other angles of this tree, I'd love to see them. It's a very 3d tree, but I keep trying to see around the corners. I thought we were supposed to have holograms by now. Oh well.
Really nice work of course!

Thanks Judy. The tree has filled in even more in the last 8 weeks or so. Here are the left and right sides. It will get a good trim next season. :D

Rob

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great job with the tree. What is the best time to trim?

Joe De

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Joe. Late Spring to early Summer is a good time to do major pruning and wiring. I mostly do scissor pruning. However, here and there you might need to pinch. Pinching would be done later in the season after giving the tree a chance to put on some good growth.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Gave this tree a little trim today. It was repotted earlier this season into a new pot from local potter Paul Olson. After 12 years, I finally put the tree in a decent pot.;)

Rob

Last edited:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice! I love the look of these hinoki's. There's just something about the feeling of age and power that their foliage pads and branches give.

larlamonde

Shohin
Reaction score
Rob one of the nicest Hinoki's I've seen. I agree a little reduction in the upper 3rd of the tree would enhance. Not a critizisum. Great job!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Judy. The tree has filled in even more in the last 8 weeks or so. Here are the left and right sides. It will get a good trim next season. :D

Rob

I really love this tree but not only does it need a good trim it needs a larger pot or a major size reduction. The tree as it has now developed looks like a small breeze could tip it over----and being familiar with trees planted like this it probably does tip over.

Please forgive me but this is just my opinion and observation and only you can decide whether or not my observation and or advise is worth listening to. That does not change how nice the tree is or the accomplishment in achieving such a healthy and beautiful tree from this material.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I really love this tree but not only does it need a good trim it needs a larger pot or a major size reduction. The tree as it has now developed looks like a small breeze could tip it over----and being familiar with trees planted like this it probably does tip over.

Please forgive me but this is just my opinion and observation and only you can decide whether or not my observation and or advise is worth listening to. That does not change how nice the tree is or the accomplishment in achieving such a healthy and beautiful tree from this material.

Hi Vance,
Are you looking at the old pics? The ones you posted are from last year. The new pot and trimmed tree pics are in post #12 on this page. The pot is larger to better accomodate the tree and the tree was thinned a bit today.

Rob

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hi Vance,
Are you looking at the old pics? The ones you posted are from last year. The new pot and trimmed tree pics are in post #12 on this page. The pot is larger to better accomodate the tree and the tree was thinned a bit today.

Rob

You're right, I don't know how I missed that unless my computer did not fully load the thread before I responded to it. That's been happening on occasion lately and has become frequent enough to be annoying. The tree looks much bettrer but I think your design deserves a far better pot. Maybe not quite so deep and a little wider. At this point we are only discussion aesthetics which are more opinion than observations of proportional violations or any of that kind of detail. I guess in my mind the tree/pot relationship just does not pop the way I think it should. I don't know what to tell you but I know I would be looking for a pot that is worthy of this tree.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gave this tree a little trim today. It was repotted earlier this season into a new pot from local potter Paul Olson. After 12 years, I finally put the tree in a decent pot.;)

Rob

Way better in the new pot.

From nothing to wonderful.

Excellent!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Way better in the new pot.

From nothing to wonderful.

Excellent!

It was always wonderful. I feel the pot is too ho-hum for the quality of this tree. It leaves the tree standing there by itself it is not incorporated into the style of the tree at all. Visually you have the tree and the pot. I find myself in this position of criticizing this bonsai because of the quality of the pot. I know how difficult it is to find a fine pot for a unique tree when the availability is limited. There is nothing wrong with this pot, there is nothing wrong with this tree, together they work, sort of, but they do not complete each other. I kind of have to use an analogy to demonstrate what I mean. For those who understand or like Baseball there is one feature of the sport that is always interesting to watch: The double Play.

Every major league team has to have an infield that is capable of turning a double play or they simple wont be able to compete. However; there are teams that have combinations of players who can turn the event into a dance. In 1984 the Detroit Tigers had a combination of Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammel that elevated the double-play to an art form, which brings us back to this tree. It's a great tree and a good pot they just do not sing together in harmony, something this tree deserves.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It was always wonderful. I feel the pot is too ho-hum for the quality of this tree. It leaves the tree standing there by itself it is not incorporated into the style of the tree at all. Visually you have the tree and the pot. I find myself in this position of criticizing this bonsai because of the quality of the pot. I know how difficult it is to find a fine pot for a unique tree when the availability is limited. There is nothing wrong with this pot, there is nothing wrong with this tree, together they work, sort of, but they do not complete each other. I kind of have to use an analogy to demonstrate what I mean. For those who understand or like Baseball there is one feature of the sport that is always interesting to watch: The double Play.

Every major league team has to have an infield that is capable of turning a double play or they simple wont be able to compete. However; there are teams that have combinations of players who can turn the event into a dance. In 1984 the Detroit Tigers had a combination of Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammel that elevated the double-play to an art form, which brings us back to this tree. It's a great tree and a good pot they just do not sing together in harmony, something this tree deserves.

Hi Vance,
I am surprised with your assessment.:D I always welcome your opinion. For dsicussion sake, I offer this. This pot is more ornate than it appears. There are subtle patterns/designs in the pot that are not visible. In almost all cases, when I pick out a pot for a tree, I usually have the tree with me. However, in this case, I did not. I had a couple of other pots in mind. Darker, unglazed similar to the one it was in last year. The pots that were available in that color didn't seem like the right size. I saw this lighter, tan pot and thought maybe it could work. This tree has never been in a pot of this color and I wasn't sure it would work. So I walked around the nursery and found either another hinoki or similar foliage/color to compare. Honestly, I did not think I would like it. However, when I held the pot up against other similar trees, I liked it. I thought the darker foliage and the lighter pot made the tree pop. When I got home and repotted the tree, the pot was a good fit size wise and I still liked the pot color. You what it could also be. After looking at a tree for 12 years in similar color pots. Maybe I am just happy seeing a different look/color.

The main reason for repotting it it was because the tree had severely outgrown the old pot. The root ball was really compact and would dry out super fast. I had to be extremely cautions because the tree was just repotted last year. I only took the tree out of the old pot, combed the roots a bit and even that I was hesitant. Then I put it in the new pot. I was pretty worried because it is not a good thing to fool with Hinoki roots 2 years in a row.

As far as a more shallow pot. Unfortunately, it can't be done. This new pot is deeper than the other one and the tree still needs to be mounded up in the pot. This tree can from a large nursery can about 12 years ago. I think it was a 2-3 gallon pot. The tree is practically sitting on just it's own stump right underneath the soil level.

I think this is the first time that you and I disagree on something.;) That says something since we have been corrersponding for around 5 plus years. Who knows, I might change my mind about the pot. Ironically enough, this is the highlest quality pot the tree has been in. It is a unique pot with excellent drainage made by Paul Olson.

Rob

Top Bottom