Hollow Trunk Satsuki

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
100_2880.JPG

100_2881.JPG

Tree was purchased from Dave Kreutz Today, it is not a traditional satsuki bonsai with the hollow trunk, but I like it.

Last edited:

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
I like it too. Nature was at work and now you can enhance it.

jersanct

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice one, SK, I love it...it's hard to tell from the photo, but is that second branch up on the left too heavy to stay, or will you be able to work it into the design?

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice one, SK, I love it...it's hard to tell from the photo, but is that second branch up on the left too heavy to stay, or will you be able to work it into the design?

It will be styled in fall so I wont know until then.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Tradition is wonderful for the unimaginative... this is going to be a wonderful lil azalea in the long run, because it has character now. Nice acquisition!

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree! I bought a satsuki with a trunk hollow from Dave this spring at the National Aboretum (Akemi-no-tsuki). I figured it was something a little different from what you see out there in terms of satsukis.

I'm sure you've talked to Dave about this, but he recommended a tree sealant called "Top Jim" or something to that effect.

TimD

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Really nice find SK. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Nice I really like it. Was this tree imported or grown in the U.S.?

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree was cleaned up, no styling was done. Pics are before and after.
100_2880.JPG

100_2981.jpg

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its a nice tree with great character but I have to say, it looks like you "cleaned up" a lot of useful foliage. That upper left branch is way out of proportion (it was possibly used as a sacrifice branch to thicken the upper trunk) and seems like some back branches are as well. Looks like you will have to regrow most of the branch structure. Although, I think you should be able to use that big first branch.

Tom

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks like you "cleaned up" a lot of useful foliage.
Looks like you will have to regrow most of the branch structure.

Actually i didn't clean up useful foliage. The stuff I took off was less than 1 year old growth. When I cleaned up this tree, I left the main branch structure alone. That is what I was taught. Satsuki bonsai trees should grow out than be cut back in about a three year period. In about three years I will have this tree show ready.

None of the main branch structure was taken off, only the new stuff.

Pine Barron

Yamadori
Reaction score
I don't think it's rude.

How much did this cool lil tree cost you?

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Although, I think you should be able to use that big first branch.

Tom

Not think... DEFINITELY!... that branch is key to this tree, nice and thick, beautiful movement. Second branch is key as well. The higher ones its hard to tell from these pics, but I doubt I would cut any of them clean off, probably would reduce that upper left one though.

Pretty cool tree

Top Bottom