Hollywood Juniper Project

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know another living soul crazy enough to have found anything enticing in this Hollywood juniper, seen sawwed off about half way at about four feet in the first photo. But I had traveled a long way one day to check out a delapidated nursery that I was sure must have something worthwhile, and this silly thing was the most enticing thing there, believe it or not - an old thing some guy had growing on his house boat on the Hood Canal for decades in this wine barrel. Not in great health. But only $10, and I didn't want to go home empty handed. Nothing going for it except girth, sporting some of the most worthless bonsai foliage in the juniper family - I thought it might present a challenge!

Well, three years have gone by, and while I doubt it will ever win any awards, it has been a fun project so far. Some initial lime sulfur awaits in its near future, and then refinement of the deadwood and foliage over time, and eventually a round pot. I'm growing fond of this awkward fellow - I might even drop my dreams of grafting Shimpaku onto it, and just let it go through life a dull and homely-looking thing.

Attachments

• Hollywood-F-07.jpg
    Hollywood-F-07.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 143
  • HollywoodJuniper-10.jpg
    HollywoodJuniper-10.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 178

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Look at Bonsai West's masterpiece gallery and a place called OC Bonsai for examples of Hollywoods. Admitedly you picked a piece of firewood to start with but if the next three years see as much improvement as the last it will end up a masterpiece. Believe it or not Will , I've read that a few decades ago these were real popular for bonsai , especially in the LA area. I've got four in the yard and all four look like giant bonsai. I love em.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Believe it or not Will , I've read that a few decades ago these were real popular for bonsai , especially in the LA area. I've got four in the yard and all four look like giant bonsai. I love em.

Here in LA. almost every single house has one on the front yard. I think that's why I don't want them, and I don't think I will ever have one. There are really nice trees, but there is something creepy about them looking like giant bonsai, can't really explain my reluctance otherwise.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, you've said it, not me..:eek:

Yes, I DID say it - and MEANT it! :D Can't a guy have an ugly duckling he's grown fond of??? Besides, to make ANYTHING even remotely attractive (not that I have) out of material like this is a lot of fun!

I don't like the configuration and typical look of the foliage in Hollywoods growing naturally, which puts these guys at the bottom of the list for me. There are a FEW other junipers with worse foliage, but this stuff looks pretty unappealing to me.

Will

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Besides, to make ANYTHING even remotely attractive (not that I have) out of material like this is a lot of fun!

I wish I had your enthusiasm.
But I am different, and I even question whether or not it is worth the effort to work with some of my good material...I often ask myself "is this going to be an interesting enough piece, or just an uninspiring little tree?"

So, don't pay too much attention to my relentless self-doubt..:)

Top Bottom