Home made pond basket?

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I picked up this ‘Uncle Fogy’ Jack pine yesterday. I would repot it into a pond basket/air pot right away, but I’m finding it challenging anchoring trees in them. I was thinking I might just take a utility knife to the current plastic pot, and cut enough holes in it so that it could mimic a pond basket. Does that sound like a reasonable course of action? And does anyone have any tips and tricks for anchoring strategies using pond baskets?

Attachments

• 09F10F4A-8033-4E0A-AB28-8452638E8CC8.jpeg
    09F10F4A-8033-4E0A-AB28-8452638E8CC8.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 16

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve been trying that. 😊 I was hoping someone smarter than me had a better solution.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I picked up this ‘Uncle Fogy’ Jack pine yesterday. I would repot it into a pond basket/air pot right away, but I’m finding it challenging anchoring trees in them. I was thinking I might just take a utility knife to the current plastic pot, and cut enough holes in it so that it could mimic a pond basket. Does that sound like a reasonable course of action? And does anyone have any tips and tricks for anchoring strategies using pond baskets?
@sorce made some homemade ones that are built to last! I know he had some pics showing how he did it in one of his threads.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you decide to go this route...

(1) Buy me a beer
(2) Take your oldest crappiest soldering iron, fire it up, and pokes holes everywhere. Super clean, holes are all the same size, and depending on how anal you want to get, they might even be symmetrical :)

That said, I have not had problems anchoring trees in pond baskets. Just take a long piece of wire, poke it up from the bottom of the pond basket in two wide-spread locations, and loop it over the root ball, twisting and tightening the two ends of the wire together. Do this 2x with two wires in a "x" configuration (when viewed from the bottom of the basket).

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks @Bonsai Nut. Next time you’re in Vancouver the beer is on me! 😄

I had thought about using wire as you suggested, but was assuming the bottom was too flimsy for that. I should know by now where assuming gets me. 🙄

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
If you dont have a soldering iron, you can use a small drill bit too. But unless you have it in a really open soil, it might not do much.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
x2 on wiring in the baskets. Also easy to guy wire with holes everywhere.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you decide to go this route...

(1) Buy me a beer
(2) Take your oldest crappiest soldering iron, fire it up, and pokes holes everywhere. Super clean, holes are all the same size, and depending on how anal you want to get, they might even be symmetrical :)

That said, I have not had problems anchoring trees in pond baskets. Just take a long piece of wire, poke it up from the bottom of the pond basket in two wide-spread locations, and loop it over the root ball, twisting and tightening the two ends of the wire together. Do this 2x with two wires in a "x" configuration (when viewed from the bottom of the basket).
I did this but to save time I thought - I'll stack 10 together and then I can do 10 at a time.

Do not do this...you end up with 10 pots fully plastic-welded together.

Top Bottom