Home remedies for aphids/pests?

Emily345

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm ready to give up. I have huge fears of bugs and I don't like it at all. I am sad to lose the tree but I don't know what to do? I'm a beginner.

I saw one miticide recipe for dishsoap, rubbing alcohol and cooking oil, does this work?

Ugh, I do not envy you. I recently discovered on one of my plants a colony of mealy bugs and I HATE THEM! They used to plague my succulents and it would cause them to leaf drop. I haven't gone that far as to needing some sort of pesticide. Fortunately for me I discovered these little bastards early and i use a tooth pick and I pick them off one by one and just crush them and make sure they don't live through the ordeal. It's easy for me because it's only one tree. I think I'd go bonkers if it were like......15......I'd just throw my hands up.

I'm ready to give up. I have huge fears of bugs and I don't like it at all. I am sad to lose the tree but I don't know what to do? I'm a beginner.

I saw one miticide recipe for dishsoap, rubbing alcohol and cooking oil, does this work?
The mentioned recipe was not effective at all and actually had more consequences. I do not recommend it but your experiences may differ.

The mentioned recipe was not effective at all and actually had more consequences. I do not recommend it but your experiences may differ.

Interesting you say this, a lot of people recommend it from what I've seen. What kind of consequences are you referring to??

If it is just aphids start collecting ladybugs. ... they will f them up! And fast.

I concur. I collected a bunch of lady bugs this early fall. Let them loose inside my growing area. Trees are healthy and bug free. Mind you I have lady bugs all over the house. I don't mind them though.

Also, a very non toxic way of dealing with pests, blast the bejeezus out of them with a strong shower head. They don't know how to swim. Mealy bugs also hate rubbing alcohol on qtips. You can also try neem oil mixed with water and a couple drops of wetting agent (fragrance free/gentle dish soap or go to a hydroponic store and get something more fancy). And if none don't work, there's always Safers insecticide/miticide/fungicide. after that malathion. then a nuke.

However, you will need to re-apply any of the above mentioned every week or so. Maybe not the nuke.

Yes--especially if you are not heavily infested and you are diligent with strategically timed applications and very through.

Carl's Soap
INGREDIENTS:

1. Water
  2. Dish Detergent
  3. Vegetable Oil (or Neem oil)
  4. Rubbing Alcohol

DIRECTIONS:

1. Fill a gallon jug with water.
  2. Add one (1) or two (2) tablespoons of dish-washing detergent.
  3. Add One (1) tablespoon of vegetable oil (or Neem oil).
  4. Shake up the gallon jug to mix the ingredients.
Fill this solution from the gallon bottle into a spray bottle and just before using add 1 to 2 caps full (from the rubbing alcohol bottle) of rubbing alcohol and spray immediately.

If you do not use the full bottle of spray, I suggest the next time you are going to use the soap/alcohol solution add the same amount of rubbing alcohol again, since the alcohol will evaporate.

I store this soap/oil solution in the gallon jug for months on end. It does not seem to go bad.
Spray on plants covering all leaf and stem surfaces. You may have to spray from three to four times with intervals of three days. I have eliminated almost any kind of pest that has attacked my trees, including scale.

I do not wash off the spray and have seen no adverse reaction to the trees from this mixture.

Carl L. Rosner

Hi Please Dont feel you have to rely on pesticides though the horticultural/chemical industry would like us to believe we cant live without them'....!!
If its only a small tree its very easy to hand pick off the bugs or affected leaves and visually inspect regularly to stop the problems recurring!
An easy safe option is to spray with diluted washing up liquid detergent eg Fairy Liquid diluted in water to the same amount as used for dish washing alternatively immerse the whole plant in a bucket of diluted detergent overnight - it works well for aphids and most other sap suckers including Juniper scale if you are thorough

AJL welcome to Crazy!

I'm with you.

I'm going to start raising bees.

Sorce

In the house? Your kids will love that.

I get the wasps on fish Friday anyway.
They remember and show up before I feed on Friday!

One time, I got a lure stuck in a tree, and when I broke a branch, I stirred a nest.

They attacked my daughter. She was 4.
I thought I was gonna have to jump in the river!

She still refers to that spot as "by the bees", but she ain't scared no more!

Sorce

I concur. I collected a bunch of lady bugs this early fall. Let them loose inside my growing area. Trees are healthy and bug free. Mind you I have lady bugs all over the house. I don't mind them though.

Also, a very non toxic way of dealing with pests, blast the bejeezus out of them with a strong shower head. They don't know how to swim. Mealy bugs also hate rubbing alcohol on qtips. You can also try neem oil mixed with water and a couple drops of wetting agent (fragrance free/gentle dish soap or go to a hydroponic store and get something more fancy). And if none don't work, there's always Safers insecticide/miticide/fungicide. after that malathion. then a nuke.

However, you will need to re-apply any of the above mentioned every week or so. Maybe not the nuke.
Awe, nothing like the smell of a nuke in the morning.
The warm caress as the blast wave rushes past you.
And the light so intensely bright.

...did I say that out loud?
I must remember to use my inside voice.

Awe, nothing like the smell of a nuke in the morning
I don't screw around with anything less. It's going to come to the good stuff anyway. I don't even try to go natural. I get in ,get it done and get out. No more pests.
Bayer,malathion,sevin,raid the list of weapons in my arsenal is short but sweet.

They attacked my daughter. She was 4.
I thought I was gonna have to jump in the river!

Sorce
Soooo does this mean well she was getting attacked you were going to leave her and jump in to save your self..?

Not judging if you were I would do the same thing according to my wife... wasps are crazy it's not your fult your faster then the kids... maby they should work out . Do track or somthing.

Soooo does this mean well she was getting attacked you were going to leave her and jump in to save your self..?

Not judging if you were I would do the same thing according to my wife... wasps are crazy it's not your fult your faster then the kids... maby they should work out . Do track or somthing.

They are lucky we don't have bears!

Hell O L.

I was holding her swatting wasps and bout to do the scuba diving fall back into the water, with her!
I felt so bad!

But she still fishes with me!

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom