Hornbeam Scouting -> collecting Spring ‘21

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wrote a article about Oriental hornbeams for the very recent issue of International Bonsai. Here some paragraphs about the American hornbeam.

You are fine with the ones you have found. There must be hundreds more. Do not worry about big cuts. They do not have to close . This is just an invention of bonsai nurseries who want to sell their own stuff.View attachment 336770TSC_2340x.jpg

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wrote a article about Oriental hornbeams for the very recent issue of International Bonsai. Here some paragraphs about the American hornbeam.

You are fine with the ones you have found. There must be hundreds more. Do not worry about big cuts. They do not have to close . This is just an invention of bonsai nurseries who want to sell their own stuff.View attachment 336770View attachment 336768
Thank you Walter! Greatly appreciated.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score

You are fine with the ones you have found. There must be hundreds more. Do not worry about big cuts. They do not have to close . This is just an invention of bonsai nurseries who want to sell their own stuff.View attachment 336770View attachment 336768

I agree deciduous deadwood is often frowned upon but I have never seen an American Hornbeam in the wild look anything like the Oriental ones I have seen. I have seen photos of Oriental hornbeams that looks almost like the one in your article being dug up. Some look no more than 4-5ft tall with branches all over. Every American Hornbeam I have seen was bolt straight (might be leaning) or a clump of bolt straight and pretty tall. Also anything I have seen that may be the size of Marija's 'Emperor' tree would have a root base 6ft wide and be virtually uncollectable. I have found workable material but it is not the gnarly, beat hornbeams I have seen out of Croatia. Some are almost ready made 'fairy tale' trees. Do you know how the ones is Croatia seem to be so compact? Same with their plums.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I agree deciduous deadwood is often frowned upon but I have never seen an American Hornbeam in the wild look anything like the Oriental ones I have seen. I have seen photos of Oriental hornbeams that looks almost like the one in your article being dug up. Some look no more than 4-5ft tall with branches all over. Every American Hornbeam I have seen was bolt straight (might be leaning) or a clump of bolt straight and pretty tall. Also anything I have seen that may be the size of Marija's 'Emperor' tree would have a root base 6ft wide and be virtually uncollectable. I have found workable material but it is not the gnarly, beat hornbeams I have seen out of Croatia. Some are almost ready made 'fairy tale' trees. Do you know how the ones is Croatia seem to be so compact? Same with their plums.

They are a dwarf variety of hornbeam, often with a shrubby habit, from what ive read they are a mixture of tree and shrub a little like UK hawthorn. makes them an exceptional bonsai subject.
i would liken your American hornbeam to the European hornbeam, they grow tall and upright here too. in fact just like what the op is showing.

this is a good read

btw here is an American hornbeam in a tree like form

Last edited:

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is the work of thousands of sheep and goats and other animals.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Brad in GR - great collecting area. Also keep an eye out for Ilex verticillata, It would be found in slightly wetter areas than the hornbeam. Ostrya virginiana (hop flowered hornbeam) would be found in slightly drier areas. Also look for the local hawthorn species. (telling one hawthorn from another is difficult, but all make good bonsai).

Your collecting area is much larger than mine. Is this where you have been getting larch and Thuja?

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Brad in GR - great collecting area. Also keep an eye out for Ilex verticillata, It would be found in slightly wetter areas than the hornbeam. Ostrya virginiana (hop flowered hornbeam) would be found in slightly drier areas. Also look for the local hawthorn species. (telling one hawthorn from another is difficult, but all make good bonsai).

Your collecting area is much larger than mine. Is this where you have been getting larch and Thuja?
The hornbeam (and some beech, gosh I'd love to find a suitable one) property is in SW Michigan, and is owned by a longtime friend, along with many of his cousins/uncles, sharing the taxes and utilizing for hunting year round. More than 500 acres.

The larch/thuja spot is in the Petoskey area adjacent to an inland lake, my golf league partner and longtime friend in a similar situation with his family having a small cottage there.

Would have never thought that these two spots, where we spent time drinking beer and being foolish adolescents, would become so exciting to me 15 years later. They are both beautiful properties to walk and I am lucky my friends understand that I have appreciation for the trees / entertain what probably seems a strange hobby to them.

I'm still excited to see the farm someday soon.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Found some American hornbeam on facebook. believe it or not, fb is a vast resource for bonsai images, one can use the fb search engine like google and you will see 100s of images that will never be seen on a bonsai forum, i often use it for my bonsai fix!
80262629_3169516906418328_634574662849144220_o.jpg

117226865_3064511466929699_4184395327769603591_o.jpg

92401981_3657299241009342_2587524865909063680_n.jpg

52586399_2285591128127856_7672413789551067136_o.jpg

120909723_3270410563006454_2984210949411887995_o.jpg

46173050_1867576726673255_6864737462892101632_n.jpg

26757931_875973195910862_7475597808989416895_o.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
these dont look bolt straight to me;)

48367976_748938928797094_851124688271704064_n.jpg

the caption reads:

Yamadori!
Big, Curvy Trees

Our yamadori hunters have been working hard these last few weeks to gather the best specimens they can find. The American hornbeam was harvested by the intrepid Benson Green and has been cleaned up and potted by Doug.
Come by Underhill Nursery to check out this and other yamadori as well as other available bonsai trees!

Remember to like and follow our page, Underhill Bonsai, to stay updated on everything we offer, from products to events.

Dated: Dec 2018

so they've also been collecting these American hornbeams over the dormant period.

I was able to find this information on a quick facebook search.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Went back to collect yesterday. Ended up only grabbing one of the hornbeam and one beech. I like the elegance of the beech and think the hornbeam muscles on this one are lovely. Will have to eventually reduce more for taper. The beech had branches low which I found to be quite rare. Hopefully helps it to survive.
Fingers crossed! Will be back for more next year but my back was aching, it’s a good mile and a half back to the car.
I was able to flatten the root base on both, and plenty of fine roots on each as well! Cheers.
9A813118-5B31-4721-B1E0-AA4D38D6CE46.jpeg44B6B9B6-31E4-431F-B8AD-6254365D8755.jpeg

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
nice roots to start with. are you going to cut off that sucker on the right and make a nice little tree? i would, as its too far away from the main trunk and it has its own roots
Haven’t decided the approach, but yes. Do you think I could make the cut at the next repot and have survival on those few roots that it has? Great point - I had initially thought I could eventually air layer it off but after your comment maybe I’m over thinking it.

I left it on in hopes that it’s continued growth helps the mother tree survive. And due to a few reminding feeder roots off that root.
Really love the little bonus tree, got 2 additional little guys that separated from the main root base.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Haven’t decided the approach, but yes. Do you think I could make the cut at the next repot and have survival on those few roots that it has? Great point - I had initially thought I could eventually air layer it off but after your comment maybe I’m over thinking it.

I left it on in hopes that it’s continued growth helps the mother tree survive. And due to a few reminding feeder roots off that root.
Really love the little bonus tree, got 2 additional little guys that separated from the main root base.
you could just simply snip it off at any time and pot it up. suckers wont help the mother tree tbh, only take away nutrients from my knowledge and this one serves no purpose to the design being so far out. these should be fine, you have enough roots. good collection.

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
you could just simply snip it off at any time and pot it up. suckers wont help the mother tree tbh, only take away nutrients from my knowledge and this one serves no purpose to the design being so far out. these should be fine, you have enough roots. good collection.
Thanks! I will separate at next repot. Now to watch how much dieback occurs on the big trunk.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are a dwarf variety of hornbeam, often with a shrubby habit, from what ive read they are a mixture of tree and shrub a little like UK hawthorn. makes them an exceptional bonsai subject.
i would liken your American hornbeam to the European hornbeam, they grow tall and upright here too. in fact just like what the op is showing.

this is a good read

great video, but i have never seen that hornbeam in the collection in my 3 years going to the arboretum weekly.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

this is a good read

For some reason that I haven't quite figured out, it is impossible to buy an Oriental hornbeam plant in the US. You can get seeds, but not live plants. I presume that it has to do with there being no market for them as landscape plants. It can't be about borders because European hornbeams are widely planted all across the country.

I have one surviving c. orientalis seedling that squirrels have tried to kill multiple times. But it has shown remarkable resilience.

Top Bottom