How do you sift?

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The 'do you sift' thread and the cement mixer idea has me thinking and exploring a better way for sifting. In the past I'd wash out the fines with a normal kitchen mesh strainer (low volume), been using a store bought cheap chinese sifter and it is worthless, dusty forearm workout.

Lets hear and/or see your sifter set ups.

tnaz71

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use
417HR0P74GL.jpg
& just have my 5yr old & 9yr old go to town. They love it & think it's the best thing ever for some reason lol..

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks what I keep replacing, the screen keeps pulling out from the edge it pressed into.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No pix but 2 x 4" H frames with an extra cross piece, with the differrent screens nailed on. They are 2 people screens, because we generally make about 100 gallons at a time.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpeg
I am in the middle of building sifting boxes right now. I've completed one of the three. Their inner dimensions are 18 x 14 inches. The boxes interlock as they stack and there are handles on the sides. I'm using a medium grade of cedar board.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The 'do you sift' thread and the cement mixer idea has me thinking and exploring a better way for sifting.

@armetisius has a slightly modified(inexpensive) working solution for a cement mixer. Pretty certain now tagged he will offer his experience ;)

Grimmy

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@armetisius has a slightly modified(inexpensive) working solution for a cement mixer. Pretty certain now tagged he will offer his experience ;) Grimmy

Smallest cement mixer; screen over mouth of mixer tub; large pipe clamps in series to hold it on.
Set tub level; engage mixer; whips a bag of dry material in about 5 minutes. Keep dropping it one
tooth until it is inverted. Exchange screens; reloading previously screened material; let it take the
next level out & so on til you are through.I can sift and mix one of the large garden bowl planters
heaping full in about a half hour to 45 minutes. Raining right now but I'll send you guys some pics
in the next couple of days.
Thanks for pointing this out @GrimLore didn't realize I hadn't shared this before.

Top Bottom