How has your winter been?

Has winter of 2016-2017 so far been..?

• Total voters
It never quite freezes here so maples are tricky. They're fine in the ground but pot culture is quirky. Everything is under a rain shelter so more control and all bonsai are happier.

Yep, it is getting colder here and will be near to slightly below average over the next week. Nothing cold enough to really freeze over small local bodies of water, so I am guessing no ice skating this winter. With no momentum from January, I doubt February or the first half of March will be able to deliver the kind of cold for a real deep freeze up. My Pinus pinea possibly showing slight damage from the lowest temperatures over the past month, or perhaps the root system is staying to wet being in regular soil and submerged in wet mulch, or both?

Seems like the average from the poll is a slightly warmer than normal winter overall.

The amount of firewood I've burnt so far this year usually lasts me till April. Late fall was unusually warm and wet, early winter till now consistently very cold and low precip, not a good combo I can't really predict if trees will come out happy or not.

Well, it's 9 F right now so I'll say it's been a colder than average year.

Always get a week or two of frigid temps but it's been consistently under 10 for many weeks this year.

Had a weird warm snap not too long ago, hit 40 for a couple days. Snow started melting but there is still over two feet. I can't even see my trees, just lumps under the snow.

The last few days have been in the low 60s, the 15 day forecast shows no freezes in sight and 60s for the highs 40s for the lows, seems a lot like spring Temps for me. Kinda scary as our average last frost is April 15th and we can have them as late as mid may.

Aaron

The last few days have been in the low 60s, the 15 day forecast shows no freezes in sight and 60s for the highs 40s for the lows, seems a lot like spring Temps for me. Kinda scary as our average last frost is April 15th and we can have them as late as mid may.

Aaron

Yup, our winter was fairly average until this month lol. This is supposed to be our coldest month of Winter and instead it feels like Spring. Well, except for the 28f mornings for a few hours:) 28f in the morning at my house with an afternoon high of 68f....

Yup, our winter was fairly average until this month lol. This is supposed to be our coldest month of Winter and instead it feels like Spring. Well, except for the 28f mornings for a few hours:) 28f in the morning at my house with an afternoon high of 68f....
Your more exposed out there on the hill, being in the valley we only touched 32f last night, 64f yesterday at work.

Aaron

Warm December very very strange then very suddenly verrrry cold January.....minus 17 celcius......now warming up again....insane weather....my veranda is a sheet of ice....can literally skate

A month of many 68's and even a 64 deg.F
Rain hare and there and nothing grows.
Expecting more cool nights and repotting continues.

Will begin the fertiliser routine in a week or two as everything begins to awaken [ Sub-Tropicals ] first.
Trees in the fridge, until April 1st and a check on every two weeks.

Taller J.B,pines [ just under 24 inches ] are being cut to 4" [ see Bonsai Today 20, or 12 I believe.
More hardwood cuttings of J.B.pines taken ------ fingers crossed.

Wetter than usual and really high breezes, avocado tree may break, have to shorten.
Humidity is dropping down to low 60's by midday.

Won't touch the Tamarinds until April.
Best wishes to all.
Good Day
Anthony

Checked my outdoor thermometer (north, in the shade except from 5 to 5:40 pm):

Min: 5.9° C
Max: 13.4° C

We had a cold spell a few weeks ago, the lowest temperature at night was -9° C and it lasted about a week (average -5° to +1° in the afternoon for ten days or so)

Now, it's unusally warm, like it was before the cold spell I mentioned before.

But now that data from a "big country" will be censored, no doubt that if doesn't get better, it will be an "alternative normality".

Well, as someone said, when you're into shit up to your neck, don't bow your head. :p

Chin up, friends! :cool:

12 F and it's snowing. We could get up to a foot over the next few days. I'm so ready for this to be done.

It has warmed up to 30 - 32 during the day. Have had numerous days 12 - 15 and nights a bit colder. Still getting more snow.

It's pretty nice here actually.
0 this morning got up to 20 with only a wind chill of minus 2.
All in all shaping up to be a mild winter.

off for another bout of winter. Tomorrow temps will start dropping for week or two of nighttime frost, daytime just above freezing. Winter has been good. Normal, as in, how it was in the 80-ies.

Back
Top Bottom