How much did I pay 4 ? The Pitch

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The Reveal

Thanks for all your guesses and thoughts but I still would appreciate some ideas on pot choices/colors for the shohin Azalea and Amur and leaf reduction on the Amur.

The member’s idea was to let his Bonsai friends and club members have the first crack at them, with what he thought were reasonable prices even though, he knew that at a convention or through other sources (Ebay., Craig’s list) he could get considerably more. However he also notes that we here in BC Canada have a very small market for quality trees and seeing as though he wanted to reduce his collection he wanted to move them. This reduction only lasted the weekend and prices went up on Monday. He also wanted to encourage us “newbie’s” in the club to purchase them so that he could still see them from time to time and assist us in their development.
So using a $0.90 conversion rate $US vs our $ loonie……the prices in $US were; Shohin Azalea= $36, Amur = $54, Larch $36, Spirea = $9 and the other big “non bonsai” azalea $36 (the pot alone is worth that).
So how about those ideas on pot choice et al.??
Cheers gman

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great score G !

You win the thrifty bonsai shopper award :D Since potting season is a bit off, I believe I'll wait a bit to give my recommendations. I have about 250 different pot photos of erin pots and need to sort through to make the perfect virt.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you've not owned an Amur maple before, you should know they are notorious for dying back SIGNIFICANTLY at cut sites. Hard pruning a branch can result in a huge scar that rots out. They can also be prone (especially older ones like this) to rotted trunks at ground level...I've had (and still have) amurs with this issue. This is germane because apex regeneration is a constant battle with these. The top shoots get too thick to quickly requiring constant hard pruning to keep them from outgrowing their tops. You have to replace, or completely reconfigure, the apex in these trees every few years...

Also, leaf reduction is not as dramatic as say, trident maple, but it's OK. I have never leaf pruned mine, as I'm wary of the dieback issue. I keep them in full sun. Leaves tend to be just over an inch long. Some are shorter.

They're fun trees to work with and pretty vigorous growers and EXTREMELY cold hardy. I simply leave mine out with no protection. They've seen temps down to 0 F and had no problems. Coddled with with mulch and a windbreak, mine begin growing in early February... I stopped giving them that and they hold off until late Feb.

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
If you've not owned an Amur maple before, you should know they are notorious for dying back SIGNIFICANTLY at cut sites. Hard pruning a branch can result in a huge scar that rots out. They can also be prone (especially older ones like this) to rotted trunks at ground level...I've had (and still have) amurs with this issue. This is germane because apex regeneration is a constant battle with these. The top shoots get too thick to quickly requiring constant hard pruning to keep them from outgrowing their tops. You have to replace, or completely reconfigure, the apex in these trees every few years...

Also, leaf reduction is not as dramatic as say, trident maple, but it's OK. I have never leaf pruned mine, as I'm wary of the dieback issue. I keep them in full sun. Leaves tend to be just over an inch long. Some are shorter.

They're fun trees to work with and pretty vigorous growers and EXTREMELY cold hardy. I simply leave mine out with no protection. They've seen temps down to 0 F and had no problems. Coddled with with mulch and a windbreak, mine begin growing in early February... I stopped giving them that and they hold off until late Feb.

Thanks for the advice on Amur's I have a few seedling coming up and a few in the ground.

I don't get the West coast VS East coast thing? Are you just saying we have lower prices? Just wondering.

Last edited:

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Tom, I look forward to your ideas on pot choices...being a newbie and not having any worthy trees for decent pots until now, I only have cheap "run of the mill" pots.....but I think the little shohin Azalea and Amur need a more elaborate pot.
Rockm – thanks for the Amur tips. I’m lucky in that the previous owner will be able to provide me some growing tips as well. He also incorporated a significant hollowed trunk into the design. I’ll post a photo when the rains cease…hopefully this weekend.
Cheers G

Top Bottom