How much did you pay for that?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If I may....How about collected material like boxwoods, common junipers, azaleas, yaupon holly, bald cypress and anything else on the east coast....I know collected old deadwood junipers and such from out west bring huge prices....I would like to know what "living 1 year+" collected material would or should bring here in the east.....? Just asking because I don't see anything much for sale in this category and at this point in my bonsai hobby career I really enjoy collecting and keeping them alive.....But my benches may look like Dario's in a few years (which would be a good thing). It might be nice to sale or trade some and acquire more finished material until I can learn the skills to do them myself.

Brian

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
And what kills me are the "collectors" who buy the equivalent of a Renoir or van Gogh
and seem to take the attitude that they are somehow NOW transformed into Renoir
or van Gogh. Now THAT is always funny. I find it especially entertaining when trying
to discuss anything about "their" masterpiece yields "huh?" [or vague/wrong answers]
about the basic horticulture of their plants/trees.

It's bonsai. Just let it go...

No matter what you do in life, there will always be people who will want to turn it into a competition. You have the power to decide whether or not to play their game...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
If I may....How about collected material like boxwoods, common junipers, azaleas, yaupon holly, bald cypress and anything else on the east coast....I know collected old deadwood junipers and such from out west bring huge prices....I would like to know what "living 1 year+" collected material would or should bring here in the east.....? Just asking because I don't see anything much for sale in this category and at this point in my bonsai hobby career I really enjoy collecting and keeping them alive.....But my benches may look like Dario's in a few years (which would be a good thing). It might be nice to sale or trade some and acquire more finished material until I can learn the skills to do them myself.

Brian

How much would you pay for the deadwood yew pictured in my earlier post? I know what I'd sell it for:cool:. Again, these trees have an intrinsic value to the right person, even as raw, undeveloped material. Dario could sell his urban yamadori at any point going forward and make a killing, imho.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think it is cheating BUT... I well prefer to pay 50 bucks and turn it into a 1.000 dollar tree than pay 1.000 and maintain its value. The second gives me a lot more satisfaction but not less valid than the first, maintaining a good tree isn´t easy.

You are assuming that all "expensive" trees are finished. There is lots of material at the 1k range that is not worked, or finished in any way. There are many price points for different levels of obsession. There are some levels that you cannot get to without a certain amount of expenditure, be it from collection or purchasing.

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's bonsai. Just let it go...

No matter what you do in life, there will always be people who will want to turn it into a competition. You have the power to decide whether or not to play their game...

Who is making it a competition? I don't think anyone is. I think the OP's purpose of the thread and good intentions were entirely missed. Oh well.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
=bonsairxmd;221783] I think the OP's purpose of the thread and good intentions were entirely missed. Oh well.

I don't think so at all, actually think it was a pretty good discussion...

Top Bottom