How much $$$ is Bjorn worth?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to officially apologize to Bjorn for this thread. The title of the thread was in poor taste, and should have been something more along the lines of, "how much money would it take to start a professional bonsai garden."
He homself concluded as much in his podcast.
I also never took it as wondering about his financial capacity, and more wondering, which does it take to set something like that up, in general.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I don't think you can consider Nigel or Peter to even be competition for Bjorn.
Nigel is a hobbyist who shares his love of bonsai with the public.
Peter is a retail nurseryman who specializes in bonsai, sure
But Bjorn is classically trained in Japanese bonsai techniques and does appearances/demos while also having a high end bonsai nursery.
His peers are more along the lines of Ryan Niel, Masashi Hirao and the like.

Even though they are not at the same high level, I love both Nigel's and Peter's YouTube content.
Have you seen his bonsai at Wisley and his prized bonsai when he was still entering Bonsai to shows back in the day? At the end of the day isn’t anyone who does Bonsai a nurseryman? What’s with the hate for Peter on here... I like him, Ryan Neil and Bjorn all for different things.But I’d say Peter and Ryan are my favorite of the 3, Bjorn is too flashy sometimes. I like grittiness and natural approach that draws me to Bonsai.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Have you seen his bonsai at Wisley and his prized bonsai when he was still entering Bonsai to shows back in the day? At the end of the day isn’t anyone who does Bonsai a nurseryman? What’s with the hate for Peter on here... I like him, Ryan Neil and Bjorn all for different things.But I’d say Peter and Ryan are my favorite of the 3, Bjorn is too flashy sometimes. I like grittiness and natural approach that draws me to Bonsai.
Not that your paucity of posts on this site is reflective of your experience, or indicative of its lack, to dislike Bjorn because as you say is too flashy is really dumb.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not that your paucity of posts on this site is reflective of your experience, or indicative of its lack, to dislike Bjorn because as you say is too flashy is really dumb.
Bro....I said I liked all three of them.... I just said FOR MY OWN OPINION... that he was too flashy sometimes ....that’s my opinion I’m sorry if that roasts your almonds. Lol

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Bro....I said I liked all three of them.... I just said FOR MY OWN OPINION... that he was too flashy sometimes ....that’s my opinion I’m sorry if that roasts your almonds. Lol
It doesn't roast my almonds it's (your opinion) is just, in my opinion, Dumb.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Not that your paucity of posts on this site is reflective of your experience, or indicative of its lack, to dislike Bjorn because as you say is too flashy is really dumb
It doesn't roast my almonds it's (your opinion) is just, in my opinion, Dumb.
Cool I’m glad

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m not sure what “flashy” means in a bonsai context. Bjorn is well respected.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I’m not sure what “flashy” means in a bonsai context. Bjorn is well respected.
Yup, I respect him too he is very skilled and has great material. never said anything really negative sheesh. I guess In a sense flashy when it comes to his overall production style on his YouTube channel.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don’t care much for him, he comes off as a bit smug. But he’s the kinda person that gets new, younger people into bonsai

e: as for this thread being disrespectful, gimme a break. He’s made himself a public figure in bonsai, thereby opening himself up to this kind of speculation. Don’t like it? Stay anonymous

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve spoken with Bjorn a few times, he’s hosted NBS meetings here and at his nursery, and he’s honestly always the most down to earth laid back fella, open and naturally welcoming to any thought or inquiry, have no clue whats flashy about him whatsoever, that cats cooler than penguin and I’ve seen it’s obvious that he cares deeply for what he does and easily for those around him alike, just my two cents

yea, kinda threw grammar out the window there 😂
thanks

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don’t care much for him, he comes off as a bit smug. But he’s the kinda person that gets new, younger people into bonsai

e: as for this thread being disrespectful, gimme a break. He’s made himself a public figure in bonsai, thereby opening himself up to this kind of speculation. Don’t like it? Stay anonymous
You might want to keep your opinion to yourself till you have been in bonsai long enough to realize just how much Bjorn has donated in content to modern bonsai, and how little you knoe in comparison.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Hear again we see the beginners trying to dictate how many of us comport our selves around here, and yet wants to denigrate the work of someone who has by his work changed the face of bonsai in this country, My name is up front and well known for one reason or another so if you have a problem with me I'm right here. While I am at it: If you are so endowed by the forces of the world to have credit disparaging Bjorn let's see some of your work?

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might want to keep your opinion to yourself till you have been in bonsai long enough to realize just how much Bjorn has donated in content to modern bonsai, and how little you knoe in comparison.
Thank you for this balanced response. I started a reply earlier and deleted it because I could not find a way to not be Dutch.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hear again we see the beginners trying to dictate how many of us comport our selves around here, and yet wants to denigrate the work of someone who has by his work changed the face of bonsai in this country, My name is up front and well known for one reason or another so if you have a problem with me I'm right here. While I am at it: If you are so endowed by the forces of the world to have credit disparaging Bjorn let's see some of your work?
I think there is a difference between saying someone is alittle flashy while still being respectful of what they’ve done and denigrating their work.. You all need to have a beer and just chill. Holy shit.

thatguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I hear similar stories about club members/events from my teacher all the time. If you want a place to stay in business maybe take out your wallet every now and again eh?
@BryanBay9 "...Most bonsai club people are incredibly cheap."

A wild understatement.

After reading the entire thread I'm sorry to have bumped it. Haha Stick a fork in this thread cuz it's done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom