How to determine tree placement on bench

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It took me a couple of years to figure out that one corner of my yard gets the longest hours of sun per day. I put a bench there and put my pines there. Study your yard and figure out where gets the most sun. You're also in San Diego so you also have to take your higher summer temperatures into account as well. I dont have that problem here.

This is very relevant information to my situation presently. I only have 3 pines that are somewhat developed as future bonsai as well as a couple dozen JBP seedlings. Optimal health in pines is the most important thing to grasp. I have a spot where the pines are that gets the most light right now. What are others doing to keep temperature down? Shade cloth? I try to not wet the needles and stay on the conservative side of pruning while I watch them develop and get a better sense for correct watering. I don't mean to derail the thread so I could ask elsewhere.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You remember the BVF juniper that was yellow in the behind?

That's why I say Maze!

Especially with all your delicate DW and Jins....

I know you can't just spin em all willy nilly everyday.

Allowing Full inspection is key.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is very relevant information to my situation presently. I only have 3 pines that are somewhat developed as future bonsai as well as a couple dozen JBP seedlings. Optimal health in pines is the most important thing to grasp. I have a spot where the pines are that gets the most light right now. What are others doing to keep temperature down? Shade cloth? I try to not wet the needles and stay on the conservative side of pruning while I watch them develop and get a better sense for correct watering. I don't mean to derail the thread so I could ask elsewhere.

It is relevant to this conversation imo.

With pines and junipers, you're probably ok as long as they are species adapted to your climate. Maples would probably need a shade cloth. It's really species dependant.

Best bet is to find out what others in your area are doing with the specific species you're growing.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
You remember the BVF juniper that was yellow in the behind?

That's why I say Maze!

Especially with all your delicate DW and Jins....

I know you can't just spin em all willy nilly everyday.

Allowing Full inspection is key.

Sorce

It is tough but I do rotate my trees 360 every 30 days for sun. As for inspection, I do like the maze or open bench concept because of this.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
@sorce

Here are photos of the entire area. It is essentially a blank canvas as I have removed an inground pool, several trees, a mound of dirt.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

IMG_20170706_065223825.jpg IMG_20170706_065203746.jpg IMG_20170706_065144480.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Figure out where you want the trees to be located, generally, then make drawings with different layouts that include the poles, benches and any hardscaping. Take your time. I'd recommend having a bed of gravel underneath the benches and monkey poles to suppress weeds... mowing around benches and poles is a is a pain in the rear. I advise having benches at about 3 ft tall for ease of working on the trees, but have your poles set at different heights will add variety and will suit trees of different sizes. If you really want to go crazy, adding large stone features along with some landscape planting would be fantastic imo. You can use images of Japanese gardens as inspiration. Have fun!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
feng shui.jpg ;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Took out the pool!!!!! Heresy!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Yoowwzzaa....that's a pretty big spot!!!! Got some cleaning to do, (who doesn't)!!!!:(:(:(:(:(

I dig the chair facing your trees....no grass underneath it.....your neighbors must get nervous as you sit there and contemplate designs and stuff...all day!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Of course it looks like a couple of theirs are pointed that way to.....so I would spot them so when I admire them, I don't get the extra visual of the neighbors. Unless you like them...:oops::D:D:D:D:D:D

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have big individual trees, think about using rotating lazy susan mounts underneath that will allow the tree to be turned easily. You can pick up those mounts at most any hardware store (including the big box places) for about $8 or so. They last a few years in the weather and water. I use them with my heaviest trees to give them even sun exposure without having to physically lift them, which puts them in danger of being smashed.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
In general what kind of yard do you want? An informal "natural" looking one? An informal garden? Or a formal garden?
Natural, curves, paths, no hard edges, natural stones, locally sourced plants.

Top Bottom