How to proceed

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like a sound plan to me. I would still place the tree on something rather hard in the grow box. like maybe a cut down piece of that 1/2 thick concrete tile board they sell at home depot. Wonder board its called. You need something really hard and smooth for the roots to grow lateraly. This should do it.

The box will be OK if this is too much bother.

sdhm3

Seedling
Reaction score
Not a bother at all I think a friend of mine has a piece of that in his garage.
I feel alot more comfortable moving forward now with everyones input.
Thank again.

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Sounds like your on track. Like smoke said, prune back your roots system each year to get more fiberous roots, and get them fusing together, and yes, you are looking for that oil spill ( i like that) in the base. Youll get it, just takes time. Im looking forward to it also, im only in my second year, and youll get some good help from here. Good luck.

sdhm3

Seedling
Reaction score
The way I read Smokes earlier post it was my understanding that I should leave roots untouched for a few years after this transplant.

Am I wrong here?

sdhm3

Seedling
Reaction score
The box is ready. Does anyone think it a little typo big.

Attachments

• In the box.jpg
    In the box.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 148
  • Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 116

riprap

Sapling
Reaction score
If horizontal space is at a premium for you, then you might want to go smaller. Otherwise, I don't see any problem with using that box.

sdhm3

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks to those of you who offered advice. I thought I'd post a few pics of last nights project.

I chipped away at part of a rather large lump directly under the trunk, boy was that was some hard wood. The aboretec had a rough time of it. In hind site I should have had an assistant for this, especially since I broke a two year old branch off in about thirty second. Fotunatly I don't feel it hurt the design plans greatly.

All of the roots were growing radially and hadn't reached the sides of the pot yet. As you can see there is a mess of very large roots that are fused together in a crossing tangled mess. My hope is that in the future they will form some kind of solid pad. All of the fine roots seemed to be growing off the ends of the thick roots and weren't excessively long, so they were left uncut.

She's tied down tight to her future living quarters for the next five years. Thanks again everyone and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• Roots.jpg
    Roots.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 137
  • underside.jpg
    underside.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Planted.jpg
    Planted.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 133

bonsainow

Seed
Reaction score
sorry to hijack this, but I'm hoping to get some advice on shallow growbox.
To grow out the root system, I thought it's better to bury it to keep it moist which promotes root grow?
by exposing the root, you might risk sunburn which would slow down the thickening process?

Regards

sdhm3

Seedling
Reaction score
My understanding of the shallow grow box is to promote lateral root growth and helps to avoid any wasted downward growth .

sdhm3

Seedling
Reaction score
My understanding of the shallow grow box is to promote lateral root growth and helps to avoid any wasted downward growth .
Ok since I hit the back button near the end of my lengthy post and lost the whole thing I'll make it quick.

Condition of the tree: She's growing strong and I feel its time for action. The long leaders are mostly coming off of the second our third fork from the main structure. The interior has many areas of new branchletts with nice small leaves, which have formed early this season.

Goal: I would like to get the most out of this season as possible. The thickness of the branches nearest the main structure sill need to double in thickness at the same time I don't want to lose the new branchletts. Of the two photos attached one is my goal the other is the condition as of last night.

Question: Should I (these are order of preference).
1: defoliate the long shoots back to the new branchletts leaving one or two pairs of leaves at the tip.
2: defoliate the whole tree except the smallest leaves and cut back to the new branchletts.
3: just cut back to profile
4: just cut back to the new branchletts.

Attachments

• Last night.jpg
    Last night.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Goal.jpg
    Goal.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 77

Mark D.

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm still too new at this to offer you any guidance, but that is one nice looking tree you have there... It's going to be beautiful when it's finished. Great start!

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice try and very inspiratinal thread, I am undergoing a similar project but Im about 6 years behind :)

Thanks for sharing

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
any updates on this guy ?

he should be looking great by now

Top Bottom