How to wintering plants on the open balcony

Pungvunchuk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hello!

I am looking for some tips/lifehacks/advice about wintering bonsai on the open balcony (without windows).

My zone is 6a. The lowest temperature last 3 years was 13-14 degrees Celsius. But the average temperature in winter is -7 -5 degrees Celsius.
I have some maples, pomegranates and Platycladus orientalis (don't know the non-Latin name of this conifer) that I started growing from seed this year. They grow in small flower plastic pots in ordinary soil.
I wanna give them a period of rest (I don't want to make them dead because of the wrong temperature during winter) but at the same time, I don't know how to help them survive in winter and how to save them from cold.

I would really appreciate it if you give me any tips or ideas that may help in my case.

Thank you.

Julio-Rufo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello!

I am looking for some tips/lifehacks/advice about wintering bonsai on the open balcony (without windows).

My zone is 6a. The lowest temperature last 3 years was 13-14 degrees Celsius. But the average temperature in winter is -7 -5 degrees Celsius.
I have some maples, pomegranates and Platycladus orientalis (don't know the non-Latin name of this conifer) that I started growing from seed this year. They grow in small flower plastic pots in ordinary soil.
I wanna give them a period of rest (I don't want to make them dead because of the wrong temperature during winter) but at the same time, I don't know how to help them survive in winter and how to save them from cold.

I would really appreciate it if you give me any tips or ideas that may help in my case.

Thank you.
I’m in zone 8a, so it does not help 100%.

What I do is to put the trees on the floor and mulch the pots witch a good amount of pine/larch bark. Some of the smaller trees I also wrap with bubbles plastic although I am not sure that does anything at all! Just try to keep them protected of the wind as much as possible and no direct sun.

Usually I repot them in late winter. When we get strong cold after I have repotted something I just bring them inside home for the hours of extreme cold (usually at night). But they just stay inside a few hours.

Until -3°C I mostly do nothing, maybe just put them in the floor. But this really depends on many factors:

-Size of the tree?
-Species?
-Did I work the tree in autumn and reduce the green mass compromising its cold resistance?

Too many questions that you need to answer before choosing the best way to overwinter your trees!

I hope this helps.

Julio

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

if you have not seen this thread already…might be some ideas on here 😀

Pungvunchuk

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone