I’m new to the site and looking for some advice

Jo53ph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have some mold growing on my fertilizer (bio gold) On my juniper bonsai and some pre bonsai I live in Toledo Ohio area and I have them in my garage being over wintered . The fertilizer is organic and I’ve read that it is good mold and to leave it .

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What kind of advice would you like?
Decomposing manure can get moldy, those molds are usually totally unrelated to pathogenic fungi.

Jo53ph

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks I just scraped the top of the soil yesterday and hopefully it won’t come back I think it was more less from them being in the garage with poor air circulation from now on I will turn the fan on during the day . Thanks for the response

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
What kind of advice would you like?
Decomposing manure can get moldy, those molds are usually totally unrelated to pathogenic fungi.
Yeah, this...In order for it to decompose it has to go through the breakdown process. Mine does it with Organic scraps fertilizer without manure. I don't worry about it, without it doing that and bugs it would be useless.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
By the way, be very careful with overwintering in a garage. Make sure you're checking for water needs weekly and in the spring you're going to have to watch the temps closely. Garages in our area often heat up on warm spring days and then cool down at night. This repeated warming and cooling cycle can cause the trees to leave dormancy early and then be damaged by the cold.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site! Organic fertilizer will often show microbial growth as it breaks down - particularly if it is allowed to remain constantly damp. The things that will defeat mold - sun, wind and aridity - are not present in your garage during the winter.

That said, as @just.wing.it has pointed out, your tree is asleep right now and doesn't need any fertilization. Don't bother to fertilize until you start seeing signs that the tree is waking up in the spring.

When I used to overwinter trees in my garage, I used to place snowballs on all the pots. When the garage would get above freezing, the snow would melt and water the trees. I could easily see (visually) when I needed to replace the snow. Same thing can be done with ice cubes.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
It is amazing how fast pots dry out in freezing temps out of the rain/snow. I would also grab snow and throw it on top, problem is, if it doesn't gets above freezing i dunno if does much good.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is amazing how fast pots dry out in freezing temps out of the rain/snow.
Not only freezing temperatures, the dryness of my air is incredible, every day when I get back to my trees I see the moss has shrivelled up. I figured if my trees’ water needs are less, I can just mist the top soil now and then hoping that essential moisture would percolate down to the roots.

Top Bottom