I got an itch to play with wood.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Al, absolutely no disrespect was ever intended in my comments. If you took my comments as being disrespectful, I apologize. One of my pet peeves today is that there are very few craftsmen left. I was in no way trying to diminish your level of craftsmanship. It is just a fact that making two tables at once takes less time than making two tables separately - all details and worksmanship included.

I recently finished a project at my house with a custom stone fascade. I cut and laid all the stones by hand. Would it have been faster to use artificial stone, or stone panels, or use a wet saw? Heck yes. But in my opinion nothing looks like real stone that has been hand cut. It took me over one hour per square foot of facing - DAYS to finish. And this was on a curved wall - which I know you understand how much more difficult it is to frame and finish curves than flat surfaces. Now that it is finished I get a million compliments. Everyone asks me "how did you get it to look like that". My response: "time". If there was ANY way that I knew to make the work go faster without affecting the quality of the outcome, I certainly would have used it, however.

Now when you place that elevated top on the table frame with dowels, you can measure all those dowels by hand (a lengthy task and very difficult to do 100% accurately) or use a dowel jig. Will either method effect the outcome of the table? I find it hard to believe so. That was the point that I was trying to make - NOT that you should reduce your quality one iota.

Regardless, for some reason my suggestions or thoughts of help were not taken as being either respectful or helpful. You may have even already considered all my suggestions and discounted them some time ago for reasons that I am not aware of. Please ignore them and continue with the thread. I enjoy seeing fine work done, and appreciate the time you are taking to share your work with everyone here.

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Worth More

Al,

Yes this stand is worth more than 600. But I could never afford it. Although I would love to have stands of this quality and trees of yours and Harry's quality, I cannot afford them.

Some of us live and see no way out of Cheapville.

But again your stands and trees are first class all the way.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Al,

Yes this stand is worth more than 600. But I could never afford it. Although I would love to have stands of this quality and trees of yours and Harry's quality, I cannot afford them.

Some of us live and see no way out of Cheapville.

But again your stands and trees are first class all the way.

Keep buying those lottery tickets buddy and who knows, just maybe you will hit a big one.

keep it green,
Harry

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
Keep buying those lottery tickets buddy and who knows, just maybe you will hit a big one.

keep it green,
Harry

Well maybe I'll buy a couple....

I have never been into purchasing Lottery Tickets or what I like to call it....

poor / stupid mans tax.....

digger714

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I agree, it would be just as easy to make 10 as one. Not that it is mass producing, but being a woodworker for over 20 years, and my partner on a daily basis for over 30, most of the time is spent making the jigs for each cut, or setting up the equipment for each cut. It just means cutting a few extra boards when time to start, although alot more time in assembly of each one. This is very nice work, you should be proud, whether its one at a time or ten. Keep up the good work.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
LOL Al - I think there is a big difference between making ten stands and being a whore :) I also think there is a big difference between making ten stands and mass-producing stands.

I happen to play classical acoustic guitar. Handmade guitars can be worth many thousands of dollars. The best guitars are ALL made by hand. That does not mean that the makers do not use jigs, forms, frames, and other devices to accelerate their work. They don't view it as "selling out" they view it as a necessary part of a very demanding process that requires a much higher level of detail and and accuracy than making a bonsai stand. Screw up one measurement, even a little, and the whole piece is ruined.

I'm not gonna disparage you because you make unique stands one at a time. I think it's laughable that you disparage me for making comments that I offered with the best of possible intentions. It is apparent that you equate slowness with quality. Personally, I equate quality with quality, regardless of how much (or little) time it takes.

The good result of this post... I now feel like playing my guitar :) And yes, I understand and appreciate French polish :) In a guitar, it not only looks better, but improves the sound. Now here's what I want the top of MY stand to look like :)

guitar back.jpg

Not wishing to muddy the waters any further but instrument making is a little something I know about. Even Stradivarius worked on more than one instrument at a time. In fact most of the "ancient" instrument makers had in their shops multiple necks, tops and bellys of instrument in different stages of development.

Al: Do you use French Polish?

Not wishing to diminish or criticize any thing Al is doing. He has to be comfortable with what he does and the way he is doing it. If it starts getting to be a "job" then the joy of producing excelence will be gone.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not wishing to muddy the waters any further but instrument making is a little something I know about. Even Stradivarius worked on more than one instrument at a time. In fact most of the "ancient" instrument makers had in their shops multiple necks, tops and bellys of instrument in different stages of development.

Al: Do you use French Polish?

Not wishing to diminish or criticize any thing Al is doing. He has to be comfortable with what he does and the way he is doing it. If it starts getting to be a "job" then the joy of producing excelence will be gone.

I am working on four at a time right now.

Yes I do but not so much stands anymore. The finish is just too time consuming. It can be done with lacquer also. It is not strictly a shellac nor nitrocellulose procedure. Polishing can consist of up to 4000 grit pumice with alcohol, beeswax and carnuba.

This small shohin stand of my own design was finished this way. It was made in 2005 and needs to be resurfaced since it is rather dull now.

I totaly agree about it becoming a job. when under the gun of clients, the fun is removed. I have made a booboo from time to time. I have been able to move in a different direction and utilize what I have screwed up. For a client with a specific wish, it means starting over and that can be a drag.

Attachments

• DSC_00040004.JPG
    DSC_00040004.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_00050005.JPG
    DSC_00050005.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 58

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As far as instruments I have refurbed a few. I am currently working on a violin from 1941.

All thats left to do on this one is fix the machine head. Fix the bow and remake the bridge. I have already fixed the back. It was split right up the middle. All repaired with hyde glue. This is my second violin. I have refinished two or three guitars as well as built two dulcimers.

I want to build a dulcimer for myself some day.

Attachments

• DSC_000100011.JPG
    DSC_000100011.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC_00020002.JPG
    DSC_00020002.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_000300031.JPG
    DSC_000300031.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 45

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice stands Al, beautiful work!
For your expansion joints do you use spacers? On our floating panels in our shop and we've been using little rubber "space balls" that will compress for expansion and keep the groove or raised panel equal
I was a little leery at first but they work quite well
SPACEBALLS

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As far as instruments I have refurbed a few. I am currently working on a violin from 1941.

All thats left to do on this one is fix the machine head. Fix the bow and remake the bridge. I have already fixed the back. It was split right up the middle. All repaired with hyde glue. This is my second violin. I have refinished two or three guitars as well as built two dulcimers.

I want to build a dulcimer for myself some day.

As a past Violinist..... I must say that this would be an instrument I would be proud to own and certainly play (if i could remember how) .....

as you know I truly love your stands and hope to one day convince you to part with one..... if only to be able to have the bragging rights of owning such a work of art..... there is certainly a lack of information about techniques and designs for someone who might not exactly be in to bonsai to begin building tables. A friend of mine who is a skilled wood worked would love to begin building them after seeing some examples he gave it a try and did quite well for his first attempts I am sure he would appreciate this thread and any others on the topic you might wish to provide....

Thanks

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Done.....Ready for Kazari.

Attachments

• DSC_00040001.JPG
    DSC_00040001.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 81

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's OK, not as good as the Chinese stuff and there's is cheaper, plus it's made by 8 year old kids.

Any way you slice it my friend, it's still your loss.......

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Any way you slice it my friend, it's still your loss.......

May the bluebird of happiness, crap in your morning coffee.

keep it green,
Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stand No. 2

Underway setting the stretchers and the legs. Legs attached and ready for final sand.

Finished table.

The double trunk Pyracantha the table was designed for. If I had this table last year during the Kazari I might have placed better. My largest deduction was for inappropriate table. This table is more masculine with thicker legs as well as shorter legs giving the composition a more grounded heavier feel. The pistol grip shaped legs seem to also fit the profile of the trunk better.

Edit:...sorry Picture two with clamps is stand No. 3 underway. You'll have to wait a few days for that one.

Attachments

• DSC_000100014.JPG
    DSC_000100014.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_000200023.JPG
    DSC_000200023.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_000300033.JPG
    DSC_000300033.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_000500052.JPG
    DSC_000500052.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_000600062.JPG
    DSC_000600062.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Comparison?

Pot is about 15% larger as well as a better color for the tree. Same shape though.

Attachments

• DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_000600062.JPG
    DSC_000600062.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 46

noissee

Mame
Reaction score
Yes, much better. I like this stand a lot. I like the other one too, but this suites my (inexperienced) taste more.
I think you are right about placing higher with this stand and pot combo. The first picture looks blah, even though the pyracantha has a lot of character.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The third stand. Traditional. If a person is to buy one stand this would be the one to have. Goes with everything, feminine yet masculine, formal but not too formal. Good all around workhorse.

This stand is a little large for this tree but not too large. According to Kokufu books this image is just about right with regards to proportion.

Now that fourth stand.....hmmmm...

Attachments

• DSC_00110001.JPG
    DSC_00110001.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_00120002.JPG
    DSC_00120002.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_00130003.JPG
    DSC_00130003.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_00070001.JPG
    DSC_00070001.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 43

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
The third stand. Traditional. If a person is to buy one stand this would be the one to have. Goes with everything, feminine yet masculine, formal but not too formal. Good all around workhorse.

This stand is a little large for this tree but not too large. According to Kokufu books this image is just about right with regards to proportion.

Now that fourth stand.....hmmmm...

Nice, you going to sell me a stand, used or new or not ?

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom