I know nothing...

Reaction score
Very new and want to give this a guy everything it needs. Can someone help identify and give me a basic run down of how to care for my bonsai?255862

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
This is a juniper. Give it sun, and don't let it dry out or get too wet. in spring you should repot into better soil. You won't want to prune much on it for now. I would also not wire either as that tree is most likely not tied into the pot well enough for that. I don't know the protocol for winters though, as I don't get freezing temps here. Welcome, good luck, and get more trees!
Cheers

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Your tree is a young Juniper procumbens "nana." It is hard to give more advice unless we know where you are located. For now: Full sun, and water it when the top soil feels dry. Make sure to water thoroughly. Keep it outside at all times. Can you post a pic showing the soil is in?

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You have gotten great advice. First step is to learn to keep it alive. Just getting the watering right is where you should focus. This is a pretty immature plant in a fairly common mass produced style. Spend some time thinking how to make it unique. Study other trees. Think about what you want to improve.

Palmer67

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What everyone else said. Outdoor in the morning sun with afternoon shade, and never let the soil dry out. I have lots of small bonsai like this, mostly production trees like yours and some pre-bonsai material. So because of the small pot, you'll likely need to water daily during the spring/summer. Lately in the Pacific Northwest it's been in the 80's so I have to water the small pots twice a day. Add your location to your profile and get more trees! Good luck.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For your juniper specifically, all the above posters got you covered. I'll encourage you to start reading up.

These articles are a great place to start, just dive in and follow the links:

I also recommend the book "The Foundations of Bonsai" by Harry Harrington

Look into joining a local club.

For inspirational videos, spend some time watching a series called "The Bonsai Art of Japan"

That should give you something to do for the next month or so until you acquire several more trees. :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom