I made it!

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My compliments...very nice sense of aesthetic and proportion.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Good for you, that you can spend your retirement doing something you love.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congratulations on your retirement! I know you will Enjoy it. I was talking to a guy at church a few weeks ago that had retired and he said he was bored... I started laughing ... told him I had so much I can do that I love to do ... no way that I would be bored. I am sure you will be the same with all you have listed.... Happy for You!

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Congratulations on your retirement. Hope that it is everything that it can be for you. You deserve the right to do what makes you happy. Great stands, now if I could just grow a tree worthy of such a nice piece of art.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great you could choose your time to call it a day at last;). Enjoy.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Congratulations, Al! I’m sure you will enjoy being able to do what you want on your own schedule.

I have always admired your stands! Those Shohin box stands you made a couple years ago were lovely.

I know you said you weren’t going to take requests, but if you ever make a Shohin stand in this style, please make one for me:

BA8D3D74-5FE0-4E91-9C70-8E6C5B02106F.jpeg

Best of luck in your new adventures!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Congratulations, Al! I’m sure you will enjoy being able to do what you want on your own schedule.

I have always admired your stands! Those Shohin box stands you made a couple years ago were lovely.
I know you said you weren’t going to take requests, but if you ever make a Shohin stand in this style, please make one for me:

View attachment 234482

Best of luck in your new adventures!
Me, too!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like them all but really like the spider web one. These looks exceptional. You must have a pretty good bit of tools and experience or be extremely good with moderate tools. joints and such look great. can we see some close ups?
I love that pattern too Robert, it's actually a old Chinese ice ray pattern, used for lattice work.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Today marks my first official day of retirement. I quit my job this morning, am going to pursue other avenues.

One avenue I am eager to re engage in, is building stands. I have not built any since way before my wife passed in 2017 and I think it had been about two year before that. 2015 was the last stands I built which was the two box stands.

I will be building stands and posting some here that will be for sale. I am not going to do custom work. I wish to build stands and then just sell them. I may build a like stand in a different size for someone, but that would be my range as far as custom.

Happier days!

Some stands from years gone by I've built.
View attachment 234377View attachment 234378View attachment 234379View attachment 234380View attachment 234381View attachment 234383View attachment 234384View attachment 234387View attachment 234386
Very nice!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is Ann Erb still down there? I know her quite well.
She is and will be organizing the show again this May. We are in a new spot for the 2nd year, no longer at the botanic garden. But we have more indoor show space and sales area. We’d love to have you for a Tuesday night meeting or maybe we could set up a special weekend workshop.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Just saw this thread, sorry I'm late to the party.
Congratulations on your retirement and best of luck with your new adventures, Smoke.

I'm "in" for about another 1 1/2 to 2 years or so, then done.
I'm SOOOO looking forward to retirement...

Top Bottom