I ordered a variety of Anderson flats and...

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do trays like that airprune roots growing down?
It depends on the amount of air space under the tray. Set on the ground the roots simply extend and grow into the ground. This is not and issue if flat is lifted trimmed and rotated. Plus it is a lot of smaller roots rather than a few strong ones.Depends somewhat on the species, my tridents need lifting and rotating once or twice during the growing season.
If supported above ground or on a very porous surface such as wire mesh or very coarse rock than air pruning will occur.

Rivka

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Can someone speak to any other differences between "trays" and "flats" besides the size bottom mesh? Clearly there is some slight height differences , but for instance AFLAT5 and TRAY6, with its just 1" of height differnce, and will have different air exposure on the bottom. But has anyone used both and noticed much of a difference otherwise? Is there any difference in side thickness or overall rigidity?

The Flats are listed at #2 plastic HDPE (high density polyethylene), while the Trays are listed as #5 plastic, PP (polypropylene) which I assume they include an additive to improve the otherwise shoddy UV resistance. So is the design of each in such a way it accounts for the structural differences in this two plastics, or are the "Trays" inherently flimsier?

Lastly I keep thinking of getting some TRAY7 with its massive cut out sides and laying inserts of AirPot material I have laying inside the openings for a interesting large air pruning tray.
I need to stop shopping for nursery trays late at night, don't I?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
A number of years ago I bought a stack of 2401B, I prefer this one for it's rigidity and depth.

If Anderson still sells them, they come in 25 pot stacks. I don't know what Anderson's current minimum order is.

They are great. I put them all to use. Though I admit, I have a stack in my office holding sorted paperwork & bills.

Most have trees, or are flats for seedlings.

I believe these are they if folks are looking

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I need at least 20 or so of these by this spring, and coincidentally I was looking at them this morning.

But damn, that shipping...
Look at it as a whole. For example, add the cost of the flats to the cost of the shipping and divide by the number of flats. You still aren’t paying much per flat, which is a win in my book…😉

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I called Anderson Pots/Anderson Die, and they informed me that they are strictly wholesale only. I did check several of the distributors listed on their website, and found only two that allow you to order online.

Grower's Nursery Supply is located in Salem, OR and has a 20-pack of the 2405B for $60. Shipping to my door in southern Utah would be $62.

OBC Northwest is in Canby, OR (Why are they all in Oregon?) and has a 25-pack of the 2405B for $107 plus S&H. It tells me to call for a shipping quote, so I am not sure that this qualifies as "order online." Regardless, I imagine the per-piece price including shipping is probably close to or slightly more than Grower's Nursery Supply.
$72 now for 20 pack and $92 for shipping to my area. That works out to be $8 each for me. Not too bad.

Top Bottom