I passed the Korean National Bonsai Exam! Woooohooooo

mach6

Sapling
Reaction score
congrats @BunjaeKorea

can you describe what the training and exam where like?

I'm sure many of us are more familiar with the 6-year apprenticeship model and examination in japan. Was it similar in Korea?

I've only ever heard about Ryan and Bjorn's experiences to be honest. Always curious to hear first-hand what it's like

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That was not surprising at all. I would have been disappointed had you not passed. Not surprised that you did.

🙊

WELL DONE! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Finally we have a pro that coming from Korea and not Japan.
Congrats.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Congratulations on your achievement! Any pics of the tree that you worked on for the exam? Or maybe others that you styled?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any pics of the tree that you worked on for the exam?

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well done, I’ll definitely come find you if I ever visit Korea, I’m only a 3 or 4 hour flight away.

P.S. is that north or south?

LOOOL, just kidding

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Congrats! @BunjaeKorea, your post made wonder and I take the liberty to ask you, how does bonsai in Korea differ from either or both Chinese and Japanese bonsai in terms of aesthetics?
Korean bonsai developed from penjing during its vassalage to the Tang Dynasty. At this time there was also considerable interaction between China and Japan as well as Korea and Japan. The Japanese took the Korean style and localised it probably during the Imjin War period and bonsai from that time are National treasures in Japan.
Stylistically Korean bonsai falls between Chinese and Japanese styles. It focuses on harnessing nature without necessarily controlling it

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
congrats @BunjaeKorea

can you describe what the training and exam where like?

I'm sure many of us are more familiar with the 6-year apprenticeship model and examination in japan. Was it similar in Korea?

I've only ever heard about Ryan and Bjorn's experiences to be honest. Always curious to hear first-hand what it's like
There should be a thread on this. But basically it is similar. Apprenticeships are as hard to come by as diamonds these days but Master Kim Young Jong was willing to take me on as a disciple instead.
Which is similar except I have another job and study with the master when I wasn't working elsewhere.
To take the test the master needs to fill out a form guaranteeing your experience.
3 Years for apprenticeship test (yes you need to pass a test to be an apprentice) 2nd Degree Junior
6 for the 1st Degree Senior
10 For Master test.

There are also schools but the tutelage is often poor.....something I am working on changing. Also some 'schools' offer certificates but these are not recognized at all. I plan on trying to make a system for foreigners to come study.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Korean bonsai developed from penjing during its vassalage to the Tang Dynasty. At this time there was also considerable interaction between China and Japan as well as Korea and Japan. The Japanese took the Korean style and localised it probably during the Imjin War period and bonsai from that time are National treasures in Japan.
Stylistically Korean bonsai falls between Chinese and Japanese styles. It focuses on harnessing nature without necessarily controlling it
Interesting, thanks.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am super happy! The announcement just came out on the Korean Bonsai Association website today!
I am the first foreigner to get qualified in Korea! Super happy! Stoked in fact. I think this is more exciting than havng completed my doctorate! This is way cooler. I am now certified in Bonsai at the First Degree.

Thanks to everyone here! Lots of widsom here helped start to pave the way. Seems like just the other day I was a noob on Bonsainut! Thanks eveyone! Love all you nuts!

My name in Korean has a red dot next to it.
Will post th3 certificate when it comes.View attachment 273712
Congratulations. Hope you continue to share and participate here.

Top Bottom